NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   coconut oil and alcoholism (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/195725-coconut-oil-alcoholism.html)

lurkingforacure 10-16-2013 11:07 AM

coconut oil and alcoholism

In the grocery store checkout line, I looked through a wellness magazine and was curious to read a report by a psychiatrist-turned-alcoholic who reported remission of his alcoholism with coconut oil.

While in rehab, he realized that although sober, he still craved alcohol. He wondered why, and began reading the literature and stumbled upon a book on coconut oil. He believes that alcohol damages and/or interferes with insulin and sugar metabolism in the brain, which makes you crave alcohol, which causes further damage, which increases the craving, you see the cycle.

He began taking coconut oil, 8T a day (yes, tablespoons) and his cravings went away and he is "back".

In the same magazine there was mention of gluten causing similar glucose disturbances in the brain which are linked to schizophrenia. Good Lord.

I mention this because more than a few researchers have called Alz. a third type of diabetes...and many people with PD who never craved sugar eat ice cream by the half gallon and candy, etc. Now it looks like it may have a link to alcoholism, at least for this doctor.

Next time I'm at that store, I'll buy the magazine so I can post the name of it here, just for you, soccertease! I'll look forward to your critique of it:)

rogerhershline 12-08-2013 11:24 PM

well being journal

well thanks for the post. the article was about me roger hershline by brian fife.

I am a physician researcher and alcoholic. The metabolic disturbance is in the basal ganglia. easily treat with pure mct oil or coconut oil. best in food. i drink it in my coffee. ** bullet proof coffee, nothing to do with me but i've tried it just butter, mct oil, coffee.

the function of the brain is complex. i wrote one short book pointing out the literature on the basal ganglia, brain scans and how it works, entitled Why Do I Drink? Alcohol the Role of Brain Metabolism.

reverett123 12-09-2013 02:59 PM

Sugar Sugar! Ah, Honey Honey!

Some (seemingly) random thoughts about coconut cravings,

Quote:

Originally Posted by lurkingforacure (Post 1022667)
In the grocery store checkout line, I looked through a wellness magazine and was curious to read a report by a psychiatrist-turned-alcoholic who reported remission of his alcoholism with coconut oil.

While in rehab, he realized that although sober, he still craved alcohol. He wondered why, and began reading the literature and stumbled upon a book on coconut oil. He believes that alcohol damages and/or interferes with insulin and sugar metabolism in the brain, which makes you crave alcohol, which causes further damage, which increases the craving, you see the cycle.

He began taking coconut oil, 8T a day (yes, tablespoons) and his cravings went away and he is "back".

In the same magazine there was mention of gluten causing similar glucose disturbances in the brain which are linked to schizophrenia. Good Lord.

I mention this because more than a few researchers have called Alz. a third type of diabetes...and many people with PD who never craved sugar eat ice cream by the half gallon and candy, etc. Now it looks like it may have a link to alcoholism, at least for this doctor.

Next time I'm at that store, I'll buy the magazine so I can post the name of it here, just for you, soccertease! I'll look forward to your critique of it:)

rogerhershline 12-11-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reverett123 (Post 1035540)
Some (seemingly) random thoughts about coconut cravings,

oh yea, crave the coconut oil (mct oil) my brain needs it. makes me feel good. mct is in nuts, but you have to eat a ton of them. it seems.:wink:

reverett123 12-12-2013 06:49 AM

Last week it was reported that omega-3 oils do get past the blood brain barrier.

Sugar, flour, insulin, alcoholism - all long recognized as bound in some unholy mix.