NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Update about neuro visit (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/177686-update-neuro-visit.html)

bowdowntobri 10-08-2012 10:49 PM

Update about neuro visit

So a couple weeks ago I finally went to the neurologist and got blood work and a brain MRI with contrast after getting a clear bill of health as far as neuro symptoms are concerned. I was told to email the good doctor about a week after the test and he could tell me if there was any reason to keep the follow-up appointment, but that he was not worried.

The MRI, unfortunately, did not come back clean - it suggested new disease activity. Considering he already said I had about 20 lesions I'm interested in finding out what that means. He said that I needed to keep the appointment (which isn't until November 27th btw) so we had a chance to "discuss options."

Any ideas about what sort of options these might be? I would prefer that the course of action was something simple like, get a kitten, for example, but I don't think that will be the case.

SallyC 10-09-2012 10:57 AM

Oh if only getting a kitten would solve our problems, I'd have a house full of them.:D

It sounds, to me, like your Doc suspects MS or some other like disease. Hang in there, it's early in the game. There is time for decisions, like which DMD med to choose, if any.

Take a deep breath, enjoy your Thanksgiving and let us know what your Doc thinks.

We are here for each other.:hug:

EddieF 10-09-2012 11:55 AM

3rd post down in my link, look at my MRI. White spots are lesions. Depending on series/filter used, they'll show up white or dark and usually smaller then mine. 20 is alot so start researching meds and looking into every blood test for lack of a vitamin.
Ask location that performed MRI for it on CD. Cost from free to $25, post them here.

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread177183.html

Debbie D 10-09-2012 01:47 PM

I suspect your doc will discuss whether or not this is MS, and treatment options for your level of lesion load...
List your questions for your doc, have a good holiday, and then let us know what is discussed...:grouphug:

ANNagain 10-09-2012 08:18 PM

So sorry about this new development.

I'm thinking that it is not going to be a kitten as I have 3 cats that were all kittens once. Based on the # of people on here w cats it is more like likely to be a cause.

I would imagine that he would like to talk about treatment options. Can't really know.

I like your spunk. :)
ANN

Blessings2You 10-10-2012 05:55 AM

I'm guessing (guessing, I said) that one of the options might be, "Since you're having no symptoms, we could wait and see what happens, and perhaps get a follow-up MRI in XX weeks/months."

To me, that is medical-speak for "get a kitten".

Debbie D 10-10-2012 08:10 AM

B2Y you are probably right...in that case, however, I would ask the doc if that is wise since they seem to be proactive even after one episode of sxs.

Lynn 10-13-2012 06:24 AM

Hi there - I didn't get my cat until years after my Dx - maybe that is my problem :)

Seriously, though. With that many lesions, I would be thinking that your doc may be considering discussing treatment options in terms of DMD's. I am sure that the doc also wants to confirm the diagnosis.

I was Dx'd with 20+ lesions, and there was no question from my doc about whether I should start a DMD - just which one did I want to choose, and how soon I would start. So, I did, and I haven't had a major relapse eleven years on.

Of course, I hadn't found this place and knew no-one that had this disease way back then so I was terrified.

Good luck, take someone with you, cause your brain will be overloaded with information and support is a wonderful thing.

Let us know how you get on

Lyn xox

marion06095 10-13-2012 04:45 PM

When I had my first MRI, I asked the doctor how many lesions I had. He said, "too many to count." When he showed another Neurologist the MRI, the other Neurologist asked, "Is she verbal? I mean, can she communicate at all?" LOL

I guess my point is that how many lesions you have does not always correlate with your symptoms.

P.S. As it turns out, I am quite verbal indeed. Just ask my hubby, though he'll probably just laugh at the question.

bowdowntobri 10-13-2012 10:21 PM

Thanks everyone - I appreciate it. I've downloaded quite a few articles about medication options and their perceive effectiveness prior to symptom onset, so I'll read up on those and go from there.

I've already convinced my mother that she doesn't need to fly across the country to go with me to my appointment, but my friends think that somebody should go with me. As of right now I'm resistant, but I think that might just be because it seems more serious if other people get involved.

I still have over a month to think about things, so we will see how I feel later on I guess.