NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   LP Headache when to go to ER (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/38700-lp-headache-er.html)

alastria 02-10-2008 08:49 AM

LP Headache when to go to ER

Hi,
I had my first LP on Friday. They kept me in the hospital for 4 hours lying flat and I continued to lie flat at home for another day just to be sure. Last night, the headache started. Very intense with coughing. Once I was lying down again, I was okay and I was able to sleep.

The question is - how bad does it have to be to go back in for the blood patch? Will my CSF just get better on its own? I'd really prefer not to go to the hospital. I know from reading that for some, the headache makes them pass out. Mine's intense but settles right down once I lie down.

I'm from the other site - it just takes too long now for posts.

Thanks.

turtle_78 02-10-2008 09:46 AM

I had mine done on a friday also it took 4 days before the doc could send me for one. I was flat on my tummy for the 4 days. I could not even use a pillow with out getting sick. I was told that I could of gotten one the next day if I did not have one done on a friday, but your doc could be different.
Call your doc and ask him for one
Good Luck

I was in and out of the hospital in 4 hours the whole thing took about 10 min. the waiting took longer. You better right after it is done

lisa1150 02-10-2008 09:47 AM

lp headache

Quote:

Originally Posted by alastria (Post 212204)
Hi,
I had my first LP on Friday. They kept me in the hospital for 4 hours lying flat and I continued to lie flat at home for another day just to be sure. Last night, the headache started. Very intense with coughing. Once I was lying down again, I was okay and I was able to sleep.

The question is - how bad does it have to be to go back in for the blood patch? Will my CSF just get better on its own? I'd really prefer not to go to the hospital. I know from reading that for some, the headache makes them pass out. Mine's intense but settles right down once I lie down.

I'm from the other site - it just takes too long now for posts.

Thanks.

I would recommend going to the er. You should not have a headache at all. this is indicative to loss of too much scf. the reason for laying flat on you back post procedure is for the site to clot off. obviously this has not happened. I am an er nurse and see this frequently. there is no need to ever suffer in pain.

alastria 02-10-2008 12:21 PM

Thank you. You know, I just hate going to the ER and was trying to avoid it. But you're right - this just isn't right. We're going to head over now. What a drag!

Thanks for your answers. I'll post later with an update

sugarboo 02-10-2008 12:42 PM

Sorry you are feeling bad! I laid in bed for 5 days...finally went for the blood patch...and felt good immediately. They advised me that I COULD have continued laying down for up to 12 days or so......I think not!!!

Hope you feel better when you get home!!

MSacorn 02-10-2008 01:05 PM

I feel your pain. Definitely get the blood patch asap.

My bozo doc (10 yrs ago) listened to me complain about my headache for 2 weeks. I couldn't work, a shower was a stuggle. It sure didn't start my life w/MS very well.

My relief took a good nights sleep to be felt. I woke the next day feeling like a million bucks and cursing the @#$% doctor.

Please don't wait.
:hug:

Riverwild 02-10-2008 03:11 PM

YACK!

Glad to hear you are at the ER! Let us know how it goes when you get back!!:hug:

alastria 02-10-2008 07:02 PM

I let them talk me into waiting for another 24 hours. The ER talk called the anesthesiologist who said he "could" come in but maybe one more day would do the trick. Ugh. And I was feeling kind of yucky and powerless and said okay. So I'm home, still of course have a horrible headache when I move around. Thankfully, I really am okay when I'm flat. I think because it's Sunday, they pushed me off a day. They offered me drugs which I said no to and gave me IV fluid.

So I guess I'll just go back in the morning. The big drag is just that now I have to go through the ER routine all over again. The nurse had no idea about spinal headaches and was trying to take my blood pressure in a variety of positions.

The doc was really nice and was trying to be helpful. Why can't I be pushy when I need to be? :confused: