NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Oh great, now I have nerve damage? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/172615-oh-nerve-damage.html)

Scott in Fenton 07-03-2012 05:08 PM

Oh great, now I have nerve damage?

So, for a few weeks now I've been having terrible pain in my neck, ever since I stopped taking the Topamax. Even went to the ER for it. They injected morphine and valium into me and nothing happened. They sent me home with vicadin and a muscle relaxer and that did nothing for the pain.

Now, I have found I cannot move half of my upper lip, and moving the same half of my lower lip is difficult and does not respond as well as it should; I slurp when I drink and if I'm not careful I get the drink on my shirt. I am fairly certain this means the pain in my neck is a nerve that was damaged by the concussive accident.

Has this kind of thing happened to anyone? How much more control will I lose if this goes untreated? Why is it now, 6 months after the accident, that I am seeing signs of nerve damage? Or is it possible this is something else?

On top of it all, I'm in limbo where doctors are concerned, b/c the work comp system has dumped me and no other doctor will get involved b/c it is work comp; waiting to see if a judge forces them to treat me further or not. Some day, when I have my life back, I'm going to make it my personal quest to change the work comp system somehow; it's absolutely unfair as it stands now.

Jomar 07-03-2012 05:37 PM

Is your wc case closed or denied?
Do you have an atty on your side? (a good one I hope )

I know states vary with wc so not sure if this will work in your case.

I was able to use my private ins as a secondary payer after wc denied my claim.
Mine was a multiple repetitive strain injury that progressed to TOS.

My atty wrote a letter to the hospital & PT billers telling them basically to continue my care using a secondary payer , but also placing a hold on the billing, as we are appealing the denial and until the claim was heard or settled & finalized..

I also went outside the wc environment and by paying cash was able to see a very good chiropractor & got a independent evaluation from a advanced PT person. Both were extremely helpful to my recovery , more so than the general medical system...:(

In the end some bills got paid by wc and some were subtracted from the settlement monies. Since i did recover quite well, I didn't feel a need to continue in the wc system to a hearing and so my scheduled hearing time became a settlement negotiation..