NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Chronic Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/chronic-pain/)
-   -   When is it time to get a disabled parking placard?? (https://www.neurotalk.org/chronic-pain/5208-time-disabled-parking-placard.html)

fiberowendy2000 11-01-2006 07:30 AM

When is it time to get a disabled parking placard??

Well, lately since my first Radio Frequency Ablation (Rhizotomy) my left side gets very week and tired when I walk too much. With the FM and sciatica and now this, do you all think that this would qualify me to even think about asking any of my docs to sign the paperwork for a placard???
I'm at a loss. I have the paperwork all filled out and all I have to do is show my doc and ask him to fill out his part. I am a little scared that he will say no. If he does, should I go to another one of my docs? Today is pain doc day and in a couple of weeks I see my GP.
I also feel like I failed in getting better. Does that make sense?

simby 11-01-2006 08:20 AM

i would ask. The worst that could happen is he will say no.

Kitt 11-01-2006 10:15 AM

Go for it. I agree with simby.

Kitt

fiberowendy2000 11-01-2006 01:16 PM

Well my pain doc said that he wouldn't mind doing it but feels more comfortable if my GP does it instead since he knows my medical history all round. We will see in a couple of weeks then if he will sign it.
Thanks everyone.

sallyb 11-01-2006 05:44 PM

go to MV office

Go to the Motor Vehicle Office and pick up a form for your doc to sign. That will be enough of a request. Don't make much of it...just ask him to sign it. You certainly qualify.

sally

fiberowendy2000 11-01-2006 07:02 PM

Oh I have the paperwork Sally. I just need him to fill out his part.:D

Quahog 11-07-2006 01:18 AM

I thought I would add that some states also allow you to download the form via their motor-vehicle department's website.

It is definately more convienent to do this than make a trip there to pick up the form have it filled out and then have to bring it back again.

fiberowendy2000 11-07-2006 05:48 AM

Thanks for adding that

That is where I got the information and the form.
Just look on your state's website and look for the link for the Registry of Motor Vehicles or whatever your state calls that department.:D
Thanks Quahog!;)

GJZH 11-07-2006 10:38 PM

I asked my pain doc after I could no longer do the grocery store all at one time. My walking was getting worse and worse. I could not walk a NYC block without needing to stop and sit...or rest in some way..so I decided to ask my PM doc and he readily completed the form. They know us better than you think and I think most are accomodating.

Fancylady_2006 11-08-2006 08:56 PM

Hi Wendy~

I have had one for many years. It is forever, and yet every four years I need to get Doc to sign a new one. All of mine would sign. I too, can't walk very far. I don't think you would have any trouble. This time of the year, we don't get to use them everytime we go shopping tho. At Christmas, it seems everybody has one. If you can get a permanet one, get a plate and a placard. that way you have it when you are in someone else's car. They don't charge for them.
Billie:)