NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Anybody familiar with Myorworx or Dr. David Traster of South Florida Integrative Heal (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/247633-familiar-myorworx-dr-david-traster-south-florida-integrative-heal.html)

zackf613 06-20-2017 03:23 PM

Anybody familiar with Myorworx or Dr. David Traster of South Florida Integrative Heal

So its been roughly 4 and a half months since my 3rd concussion in as many months and I feel basically just as shitty as I did at the start. Started to push through it a little bit by light exercise and trying to be somewhat productive each day. Still got constant headache, fatigued, occasional nausea, my eyes are still constatly strained and the top of my scalp is sensitive.

I've been looking for solid success rate treatment recently and I've come across MMTR physiotherapy in Guelph (5 hours from me) and Dr David Traster of SOuth florida Integrative Health in Miami, who his a functional neurologist/chiro who deals with how eye movements are a crucial part of concussion recovery.

Anybody familiar/been treated by MMTR or Dr. Traster? Lemme know, thanks

zackf613 06-20-2017 03:26 PM

I also have an appt with UPMC in early July if anybody has had good experiences with them.

Mark in Idaho 06-20-2017 05:51 PM

Some years ago, we had a few who went to MMTR without any benefit and a lighter wallet. MMTR is a physical therapy clinic with claims to have some special skills but nothing more than anecdotal evidence. He focuses on head and neck issues. If your issues are neck related, he may be able to help but the only way to know is to spend a few thousand dollars and see.

Dr Traster is a Carrick trained chiro neuro. I doubt he has much to offer that you have not already been through.

Eye movements are an integral part of concussion recovery for those with specific injuries. Not all concussions have eye movement issues.

zackf613 06-20-2017 06:50 PM

If my headache dramatically reduces after a hot shower, and I went to a chiro a few weeks back who would apply electrotherapy on the back of my neck, and I'd often walk out of his clinic without a headache for 30 min or even up to an hour. Does that suggest that my constant headache is most likely caused from my neck?

Also can someone explain what occipital neuralgia to me? throughout my research I've come across it alot and I seem to display many of the symptoms of it, pain behind the ear, base of the skull, occasional jolts of pain behind my eye, and a sensitive scalp. From my understanding it occurs when either the greater or lesser occipital nerve is being compressed or 'pinched' by inflammed neck muscles.

Mark in Idaho 06-20-2017 07:21 PM

Electrotherapy can disrupt nerve signals temporarily. This can reduce spasms or affect something else. But, UPMC has found that 80% of symptoms are neck related.

Whether it is defined as occipital neuralgia or just a subtle upper neck injury, the symptoms can be the same. The trick is finding the cause of the muscle spasms so they can be reduced. Some have done Botox. Accupuncture, massage, chiro, PT, Osteopathic manipulation, etc. But, one needs to change posture behaviors to allow healing without stressing the injury.

If I remember, you sleep on your stomach with your head turned to the side. OUCH. That is rough on occiput to C-1/atlas.

What can you do to change that neck strain ?

todayistomorrow 01-15-2018 01:04 AM

I run when I see someone is a functional neurologist.

If it worked for you, I’m very happy for you.

Myoworx guy is legit from the 2 people I’ve talked to. I think it matters greatly if you have trigger points. I will be making appt in next month or so.

russiarulez 01-17-2018 03:26 AM

I went to Carrick's center in Atlanta four years ago and Dr. Traster was my doctor.

I had 0 improvement from his treatments. One thing that really did not sit well with me that I was given to his interns to practice on and Dr Traster would occasionally check in with me. He did work directly with some other patients like the lady from the US national hockey team, but I guess I wasn't important enough.

Also it didn't seem like he really read through my medical history files that I sent them before my visit (that they requested me to send).

Anyway, this is strictly my personal experience with this doctor, and every injury is different. Do your research, since I'm sure the treatments are expensive (I paid $5K for 5 days).