NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/)
-   -   Ideas Needed For A Disability Closet (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/37549-ideas-disability-closet.html)

olecyn 01-28-2008 03:49 PM

Ideas Needed For A Disability Closet

Anyone have any great ideas?
I need to call in a closet organizer of sorts
California Closets is too expensive.

Hanging up clothes is impossible
Folding clothes hurts

I have told my help just to put everything on the floor of the closet folded in a basket
But then I need to fish my normal wear of cami's and yoga pants out.
That's all I wear these past years.
And my shirts go unworn
Jammy's forget it, I just sleep in my clothes

johannakat 01-28-2008 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olecyn (Post 199987)
Anyone have any great ideas?
I need to call in a closet organizer of sorts
California Closets is too expensive.

Hanging up clothes is impossible
Folding clothes hurts

I have told my help just to put everything on the floor of the closet folded in a basket
But then I need to fish my normal wear of cami's and yoga pants out.
That's all I wear these past years.
And my shirts go unworn
Jammy's forget it, I just sleep in my clothes

Cyn- why don't you just line the lower half with inexpensive particle board shelves...you know the kind you can pick up at target for $25/each or so...then you can stack your folded clothes on them by general category and it will be easier to get what you need.

for me it isn't the hanging so much as pulling out the drawers on my antique dresser...but i love the dresser, it was from my gramma's house. I just bought some commercial grade teflon low friction tape to line all the wood runners with so it is easier to pull them out. It is the kind of thing that commercial food processing plants would line their conveyors with...expensive for tape, but not so much when compared with new drawers!!!

:)

Jomar 01-29-2008 12:18 AM

wax or soap works for sticky drawers too.

Cyn I am not organized at all so I'm no help there..
half the time I wad up the towels and shove them in the bathroom cupboards :o

We do have an antique armoire the has a small hanging rod and then shelves on the sides and top.

tshadow 01-29-2008 02:10 AM

With my aides, I have used what Johanna says - a shelf for the pajama bottoms, and a shelf for the tops, (or drawers), and I tell the aides to just pile them up folded, so then I just grab one to put on.

No bright ideas from me, as I live in those pjs.

I haven't worn my rest of my closet for five years now...ugh, what a waste of a beautiful closet...so much money...(scream!)

I still like the soft pajamas of the Gap online. The pull-on pants and tops are so easy, washable, soft...fit is great. Nothing else has been as great.

And the really soft marshmallow robes of Victoria's Secret if it's a cold day.

No bras for five years!

astern 01-29-2008 07:49 AM

shoes

I would suggest shoes being stored about hip-level, that way you can select a pair and just scrape them onto the floor. Prevents bending over and picking up.

Agreed: I spend 80% of my day in P.J.'s.

wish I had more thoughts on this - but my head is in a fog.
:grouphug:

fern 01-29-2008 08:36 AM

hooks

I suggest rows and row of hooks, stacked vertically. From the less substantial on the bottom rungs up to the double kind meant for coats and purses. i can hang something on a hook so much easier than a hanger. and then it doesn't sit in a pile. I want to invent a way to have rows of hooks higher in the closet come out further so that I could have layers of hooks. All I can think of so far is to hire a handyperson to nail them first to blocks of wood before they go into the wall. Then I can hang smaller things like undergarments on the inside lower rungs and taller things like robes and pants on the outer or taller hooks. I envision a wall in my closet of these layers of hooks but for now I have one long row of hooks sold on a wooden block that's meant for coats plus some small coated wire double hooks designed for robes. All these obtained at places like Lowes or Home Depot or Storables. I didn't see what I needed in any closet places.

finz 01-30-2008 09:42 PM

Am I the only one using the "pile of junk on the floor so that you you can't even reach the closet" method ? :icon_redface:

trixlynn 01-30-2008 11:09 PM

No Finz you are not alone. That is my specialty. Unfortunaley in my house it is "pile of junk on the living room floor, everyone fend for themselves." It is also a handy decorating scheme. No one can see the big chip in the laminate in front of the fireplace. My closet has dog kennels in it right now.

Jomar 01-31-2008 02:31 AM

I have some tall laundry baskets and I admit we do use them for "storage" of stuff that doesn't quite seem to get folded and put away.

I have been known to just shove t shirts into the dresser too:o

johannakat 02-01-2008 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jo55 (Post 200469)
wax or soap works for sticky drawers too.

wish i'd have read this $20 ago...the soap worked at least as well as my tape...thanks!