NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Just switched to Avonex...did my first shot! (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/37326-switched-avonex-shot.html)

siualum 01-25-2008 10:19 PM

Just switched to Avonex...did my first shot!

Hey all - I am one of the copaxone crew who had to stop because of horrendous dents...yikes. I switched to A, and just completed my first injection - yaaayyy!!!

There has been some great advice here re. A - and for those who are getting ready to start it, I do want to say that giving yourself an IM shot is NOT bad at all...just do it quickly!

Well, I'm off to take more ibuprofen and drink lots of water...I've been down the beta road before, so lets hope this one is better! And just think - NO SHOTS for a whole week!

Jodylee 01-26-2008 06:08 AM

Good for you Sialum! I had site problems on C to and had to stop then went on Avonex. I had no problems with im injecction either. Unfortunately, I'm one of the few that are interferon intolerant. I'm waiting to start Ty now. I'm very hopeful. Good luck, I'm sure evrything will work out great for you!

MooseasaurusRex 01-26-2008 07:54 AM

Yep.
Only done Rebif and Avonex. Like Avonex much more. Once a week? Can't beat it.

Chris 01-26-2008 09:11 AM

Good on you, Sialum! I used to be an Avonex user years ago. I never really had much trouble except for some extreme tiredness the next day, so I always took it on Saturday nights and took it easy on Sundays. I hope it works well for you. I realise the needle is much bigger, but I never had a problem injecting. In fact it was less painless than Betaferon for me.

hjmom 01-26-2008 10:27 AM

Congratulations on the first Avonex shot!!

I hope it works well for you!! I've been on Avonex for two years and even though I hate the big needle, my MRI's are better and I seem to be doing well on it. Drinking lots of water is really important to me on shot days and the day after too. Take care!

siualum 01-26-2008 02:45 PM

Thanks so much for the replies! I can't believe that I haven't dealt with any SE (except for a bit of fever) - WOW! I'm probably just so happy about no more daily injections that anything else is minor, huh?

Fingers crossed for good results...

Dejibo 01-26-2008 06:10 PM

Congratulations and welcome to the poker game. :hug:

EthanNDomsMom 01-26-2008 10:13 PM

Congrats! I've never taken anything but A, but I can't even imagine doing shots every day! Ick! The big needle still scares me a little bit after 2 yrs, but my neuro's PA gave me a script for smaller needles.

Glad you haven't had any probs with SE's so far, I hope it stays that way for ya! :)

BaxterTheBunny 01-26-2008 11:33 PM

Yeaah! Congrats.

I was on Avonex for four years. Really liked the once a week shot. Went off of it b/c it reduced my WBC too much and left me sick all winter with colds and flu.

But I hope you do well on it. I really liked the med. I didn't have any side effects with it except my WBC being too low.