NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   tilting head back to see better? (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/175395-tilting-head.html)

bny806 08-25-2012 11:09 AM

tilting head back to see better?

Do any of yall tilt yalls head back to see better? I realized i do this a lot, especially at the end of the day/evening time. I am not sure if it really helps me see a lot better, or if it just helps get the weight of my eyelids off my eyes a little bit, however I seem to only do this when I'm trying to see something better. Also do any of yall get eye muscle soreness with movement? Usually also at the end of the day for me, however at times my body feels like its been hit by a train with soreness.. I get IVIG every 2 weeks, but that is it (we are debating imuran, never tried steriods).. I have a diagnosis of CIDP.. though atpyical, and have thought MG might fit better for a while (ptosis, all over every muscle - more so proximal and face, muscle weakness).. Thanks again, and I hope everyone is doing well!

bny806 08-26-2012 08:55 PM

I had one more question (well, i have tons of questions really!!!), but several months ago, i was working a lot and started to feel a bit weaker than my new "normal", It felt like my throat was collapsing- it was the strangest feeling! It was as if I was a person who snored, but that feeling while I was awake.. and when I would try to talk, it felt as if it would collapse more! I had IVIG and about 3 days later It was gone, it has happened on two occasions- along with the slurred and nasal speech and swallowing problems- which are all totally fine now after IVIG!?? Sound like MG at all? Thanks in advance, and I hope everyone is doing alright!

southblues 08-27-2012 08:43 AM

I would think that it could be caused by your neuropathy or by MG. Both ultimately should cause the same symptoms because they interrupt nerve signals; just at different places. I think..........

schavarria 08-27-2012 01:23 PM

tilting head back and throat collapsing

I too find myself tilting my head back when trying to read on the computer. I don't know why other than it seems it takes a bit of blurriness away. I haven't been diagnosed with the ocular MG, rather I have generalized MG. But I've started having vision problems this year including blurriness and cloudiness. Went to eye doctor last month tho and he said everything looks good!

I also sometimes get the collapsing throat thing. Especially in mornings when mestinon hasn't kicked in yet and I'm speaking with people at work. I'll start yawning uncontrollably and feel my throat close up a bit. It's really annoying!

brandonc 08-27-2012 03:57 PM

When I brought it up with my neuro, he said that it was normal for mg'ers because there are little muscles in the back of your eyes and your eye lids that both get hit with the fatigue. before my mg got a little better i almost had my head tilted straight up almost all the time. especially when i was driving or messing around outside because of the sun.

bny806 08-27-2012 08:55 PM

wow, thank yall so very much for your replies!! I am so glad to hear I'm not alone!!
Brandonc- interesting you mention the sun! I'm not sure if it's the sun or the heat, or me having to "scrunch" my face up due to the brightness and the muscles therefore fatiguing, but when I'm out in the heat my eyelids melt, and I have to lean my head back more to see better, and simply to get the weight off my eyes.. it's really uncomfortable to have all that weight of my eyelids!
schavarria- what were your symptoms with generalized MG ? my "issue" started with my eyelids changing, and then it became more generalized, though my knee down on my left leg hasn't been as bad as every other muscle in my body!
Also, nice to know the throat collapsing feeling isn't' just me!! I thought I had something really bad with that symptom, and was really freaked out.. and then after my IVIG it went away, back to normal and hasn't come back! The nasal voice is also resolved except rarely at the end of a day- it used to be constant before I went to IVIG every 2 weeks!! This is all so strange! :)

Maiden8680 09-07-2012 04:00 PM

I had something like this actually! My last episode with double vision (back in May) toward the end of it, I felt that if I tilted my head to the right, I felt the image went back together, and would stay like that for a minute or two once I straightened my head. I felt so silly doing that sometimes at work lol, but it helped!