NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Holosnyc Meditation (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/193050-holosnyc-meditation.html)

JDMC 08-20-2013 12:33 PM

Holosnyc Meditation

Hi,

I have a question concerning meditation, and specifically a meditation program known as holosync.

Basically, is there any way that deep meditation can be harmful or overwhelming to the concussed brain?

I had recently begun using the holosync program (my mom recommended it to me and had already purchased the CD.) Holosync uses a variety of relaxing sounds, similar to wind chimes and rain which as supposed scientifically designed to put you in to a deep state of meditation, usually only achievable after years of dedication to the practice through the use of a variety of alpha and theta waves.

Upon trying it I've noticed that it has a very strong effect on me, and while I only have very limited experience with meditation, the tape definitely took me in to a deeper state of meditation than I thought possible, leaving me very relaxed but also seemingly increasing my sense of feeling very surreal and slowed down for a while after using it which has been my main symptom for the past 3 months, without much improvement.

I would imagine that any person introduced to this deep state of meditation might feel a little different afterword, and I can certainly see how this could actually be very helpful in healing, or at least make the healing process more manageable.

None the less, It certainly seems to have a profound impact on my brain which is obviously something to be careful of with a concussion.

If anyone has used this or a similar program, or has knowledge of meditation's effect on the brain, and that relationship to concussion, please let me know whether this is a good idea.

Thanks,

jamie

Lightrail11 08-20-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDMC (Post 1008583)

If anyone has used this or a similar program, or has knowledge of meditation's effect on the brain, and that relationship to concussion, please let me know whether this is a good idea.

Hi Jamie and welcome to NeuroTalk.

I’ve not heard specifically of holosync meditation, but I do practice mindfulness meditation which I find helpful. I doubt if any form of meditation would be harmful.

Studies using fMRI imaging showed increases in neural synchrony – the integration of localized neural processes into higher order cognitive and emotional functions with meditation, decreasing feelings of anxiety and improved feeling of empathy. Other benefits observed included a decrease in the emotional reactivity that can worsen mental distress, which many of us have experienced following a TBI.

While it's not specifically about meditation with TBI/PCS patients, a good discussion on this can be found in “Pictures of the Mind: What the New Neuroscience Tells Us About Who We Are” by Miriam Boleyn-Fitzgerald.

"OM" to you

JDMC 08-21-2013 08:25 PM

Thats what I figured, I really don't understand why it would make me feel worse. I think im going to try it again for a week or so and see if I continue to feel worse after using it.