NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   I drink too much.... (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/130010-drink.html)

bizi 08-10-2010 07:58 PM

I drink too much....

I drink too much....
I just don't know how to stop.
I have recently realized that I drink too much and need to quit using alcohol as a crutch.
what is it going to take for me to quit using/abusing alcolhol???????
bizi

Dmom3005 08-10-2010 09:34 PM

First you have to realize the problem.
Accomplished.

So next take a step to slow down.
Maybe a chart and goal.

Donna

BlueMajo 08-10-2010 10:50 PM

Try to drink less and less every day...

DiMarie 08-10-2010 11:01 PM

Maybe it is the exotic sippers....
If you could find non alcoholic versions of what you like in the summer may help. If it is a good lager, gee I don't know. except for special occasions and buy a smooty type make and non alcol receipes?
Hugs :hug:

Mari 08-11-2010 03:49 AM

Dear Bizi,
You have been able to handle and solve so many things during your life. You can solve this one. Get some help and get a team in place to help you. Start with your tdoc or pdoc.

M.

mymorgy 08-11-2010 08:17 AM

i agree get some help. Don't be proud. Try to figure out when you feel like drinking and what you need it for. Is it to fight off depression. I think my father was bipolar and he was an alcoholic to fight off the depression. You have such a full life. You have so many interests. I am afraid you have been running away from a lot of painful feelings....just a feeling but maybe going to a therapist and discussing the painful feelings will solve a lot
hugs
bobby

bizi 08-11-2010 01:16 PM

I drink when ever I am going to a social gathering, to ward off my anxiety of dealing with people.
then I drink when I "go off" my diet and am not driving....
I go out to drink to cheer up a friend
I drink when I want to have a good time and am not dieting. It seems the only time I have a handle on my drinking is when I am dieting these days, counting calories.
But last night I decided to change my dieting to counting carbs so last night I went out for dinner and drinks had half priced and too many rum and diet cokes and a small grilled chicken breast= no carbs. I think I should go back to counting calories and not have the freedom to drink as much straight alcohol...that was a bad idea. I can count calories and still watch my carbs.
Going to the gym tonight, need to get back to my routine.
Vacations are fun, especially when I am drinking.
we are going to the beach next weekend, (not this weekend) last year I got bush wacked....they were so good, like a frozen chocolatey rum drink!
hoping that doesn't happen again this year.
sigh
bizi ( who really likes to drink.....:o)

waves 08-11-2010 01:48 PM

Dear Bizi

the reason for counting carbs, and especially for limiting ready-carbs, is because they get converted to fat quicker than fat or protein, if not used right away.

** edited ** inaccurate - read this instead: http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/...ch/alcohol.htm

alcohol is 7 calories a gram, that you have to burn off.

no matter what your method of dieting, alcohol intake is a dietary/weight-loss consideration.

~ waves ~

mymorgy 08-11-2010 06:08 PM

i am confused Bizi
do you want to cut down on your drinking? isn't it dangerous also since you take medication?
how long have you been drinking a lot?
bobby

bizi 08-11-2010 07:39 PM

It is confusing.....
I love drinking.
It makes me more social, uninhibited, impulsive.
Some of my friends drink so drinking is a big part of my social life.
Since I have been dieting that sort of changed.
until I started binge eating and drinking....."fell off my diet"
a couple of months ago I posted that I was binge eating...I was also binge drinking.
Not good.
It is also the time period that I felt like I was hypomanic...which could be the case here too.
Switching to carb counting played into my desire to drink as much as I wanted, we were at a bar chatting with the regular bartender, she is pouring my 2 for one drinks and they are in small glasses so they go down in just a few sips, lots of ice. I had 7 of them in a short amount of time, I got trashed....and it was only 7:30 when we got home!
I was ok by morning. Made it to work just fine.
any way.
I am back to counting calories and back on my diet allowing myself room to have a beer or two at the end of the day...
I am reclaiming some sanity.
I just have to be careful!!!!!!!!
bizi