NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   who's in a wheelchair? (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/161864-whos-wheelchair.html)

ol'cs 12-10-2011 02:25 PM

who's in a wheelchair?

it's been 15 years for me after dx and i'm having great trouble walking. I don't want to think of aa wheelchair, but the time is coming. how many of you are in wheelchairs and how many years after dx did you make the decision that it was time that canes just weren't working?

ginnie 12-10-2011 03:33 PM

Re: future wheelchair

Dear Ol, I do not have parkinsons, but I do have a fear of having to use a wheelchair in my future. I have a degenerative condition of my ankles, called ATTD disorder, the ankles broke down. I need two new ankles though there is no surgery like for a knee replacement. I walk with the help of a narcotic, and I took off 65 pounds to relieve my ankles of the stress to the best of my ability. That being said, I know that sometime in my future, I will have to use a wheelchair unless some new surgery is invented. I am deeply frightened of this, and I know you must be also. I don't know how to face this eithor. I also know what your illness is, as a friend of mine has it. I don't want to loose my mobility eithor, and I do at times get anxious, fearful, and all those other negative emotions. I am also wanting to know how others cope with less mobility. I am so sorry for PK in your life. I am disabled from cervical issues as well. I suppose when the time comes, I will have to learn how to cope. I am not very brave about facing these kinds of things. I hope you will be OK for awhile, and can keep on trucking as long as you can. I will listen to how people respond to this post. I hope your holiday season has joy, even with the medical problem you have. Be good to yourself. ginnie

paula_w 12-11-2011 01:43 AM

falls are ur worst enemy

cs,one fall result

fractured femur

titanium reinforcement of hip
post op deliriums

worst of all two months in a rehab center
i have t0 use wheelchair until myright leg and hip heal

-if you think pd has complaints. try a wheelchair for a week

i don[t know how they get away with such inadequate conditions

my advice - get the chair bef0re the big fall

kicker 12-11-2011 08:18 AM

I agree with Paula. I don't have PD, but MS. I've been in a chair 3 years. Of course I'd prefer if I could walk. Of cause it was a loss and sad and a hard horrible thing, but due to Health insurance, problems, stuff, etc. getting my power chair with the right stuff and seat (very important as
I'm on my @$$ all day), it took forever. Good thing I was still walking with walker!!!!
Yes, in so many ways it sucks. But a wheelchair is a tool, not a horrible thing totally ruining my life. Now I zoom, don't get so exhausted or sit in a chair and watch TV too much. I get into rooms and places I haven't been in a long time.f) , get to the bathroom in a faster (and more timely fashion). And Wow, can I push furniture around!

Dottie 12-12-2011 06:16 AM

long time

Quote:

Originally Posted by ol'cs (Post 831316)
it's been 15 years for me after dx and i'm having great trouble walking. I don't want to think of aa wheelchair, but the time is coming. how many of you are in wheelchairs and how many years after dx did you make the decision that it was time that canes just weren't working?

I was dxd back in 1981 and walking has always been my biggest problem. I've used a rollator, a wheelchair and now an electric scooter., I use the rollator in the morning, the scooter when I go out and when I start getting tired.. and the wheelchair the rest of the time.

I think its been close to 5 years that we bought the first rollator.I'll use any equipment in order to get around . I' m not giving in.

Max19BC 12-12-2011 12:53 PM

I'm still working on it.

I was diagnosed with PD in 2001. I'm doing OK, still can live on my own and will do so as long as I can. My walking is fine when my meds/ herbs are working, but when I get up in the morning (unmedicated) or when my meds wear off before my next dose, I end up doing baby steps and my balance is scary. I have a couple of store brought walkers, but they don't help that much, my legs freeze up when I try to use them. I haven't found anything on the market that's between a walker and a wheelchair, so for the past couple of years, I've been trying to make a walker that can support my weight as I'm walking. Here's a mini-video on my latest attempt:
Go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN4daQWkQKg
or try typing in "A new kind of walker"#2 on You-Tube
I'm currently modifying this one so I can take it outdoors too. I don't have a video of it yet. But the modified walker #2 has inflatable mountain board tires, rear drum brakes, improved front suspension (for uneven ground) and I'm currently modifying the seat so it can fold out of the way, so I can use it like a walker when my balance is fine.

Enjoy life always,
Max

reverett123 12-12-2011 05:27 PM

Max - I've been meaning to write you. Saw a video on odd bicycles. Supposedly, the first bike was similar to today's but had no pedals and was meant as an aid to walking. The bike bore the weight and the person propelled and balanced with leg power. Struck me as ideal. Instead of a wheel chair and muscle atrophy, a trike sans pedals would be stable but would exercise the legs. One might use it part of a day for years.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Max19BC (Post 831694)
I was diagnosed with PD in 2001. I'm doing OK, still can live on my own and will do so as long as I can. My walking is fine when my meds/ herbs are working, but when I get up in the morning (unmedicated) or when my meds wear off before my next dose, I end up doing baby steps and my balance is scary. I have a couple of store brought walkers, but they don't help that much, my legs freeze up when I try to use them. I haven't found anything on the market that's between a walker and a wheelchair, so for the past couple of years, I've been trying to make a walker that can support my weight as I'm walking. Here's a mini-video on my latest attempt:
Go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN4daQWkQKg
or try typing in "A new kind of walker"#2 on You-Tube
I'm currently modifying this one so I can take it outdoors too. I don't have a video of it yet. But the modified walker #2 has inflatable mountain board tires, rear drum brakes, improved front suspension (for uneven ground) and I'm currently modifying the seat so it can fold out of the way, so I can use it like a walker when my balance is fine.

Enjoy life always,
Max

Max19BC 12-12-2011 07:25 PM

modern walking bike

Quote:

Originally Posted by reverett123 (Post 831757)
Max - I've been meaning to write you. Saw a video on odd bicycles. Supposedly, the first bike was similar to today's but had no pedals and was meant as an aid to walking. The bike bore the weight and the person propelled and balanced with leg power. Struck me as ideal. Instead of a wheel chair and muscle atrophy, a trike sans pedals would be stable but would exercise the legs. One might use it part of a day for years.

Hi Rick,
The old fashion walking bikes first gave me the idea of a walking support. Here's a link to a modern walking bike. Go to: http://glidecycle.com/

And here's a great website for all kinds of walking devices for the disabled.
Go to: http://manualmobility.com/

Cheers, Max

Fowki 12-13-2011 12:52 AM

I was in a wheelchair the last six months leasing up to my DBS, now I use no assistive devices at all!

aftermathman 12-13-2011 11:05 AM

Fowki ...

couldn't help but see you had a dbs 4 years after dx. This seems a remarkably short time, would you care to expand on this ?

Neil.