NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Pets & Wildlife (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/)
-   -   Cats & Sleep (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/97887-cats-sleep.html)

Kitty 08-15-2009 06:45 PM

Cats & Sleep

My cats both sleep about 20 hours out of 24 hour day. They are 4 and 7 years old. Is this normal or do they tend to sleep more the older they get? It seems like all they ever do is eat, take a bath and go back to sleep (kinda like me but that's a different subject!). :)

Blessings2You 08-15-2009 06:55 PM

Seems as though that's on the high end of normal, but I think an average middle-aged cat can sleep 18 hours. Maybe they're up for a couple of hours while you're asleep? :D Or maybe they're bored.

Hockey 08-15-2009 07:03 PM

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

I read in a pet magazine that cat's are the world's sleepiest mammals (I guess the editors never met my husband), snoozing an average of seventeen hours a day. Your cats are a bit above average, but it is an average, so I don’t think you need to be concerned provided they seem otherwise healthy. You may also find that they sleep more in the summer heat.

Cheers

Kitty 08-15-2009 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blessings2You (Post 552273)
Seems as though that's on the high end of normal, but I think an average middle-aged cat can sleep 18 hours. Maybe they're up for a couple of hours while you're asleep? :D Or maybe they're bored.

Yeah, Tigger seems to be up at night when I'm trying to sleep. :rolleyes: It never fails......as soon as I get comfortable and really sleepy I get the little furry "head butt" to let me know he's hungry. If I don't respond to that then it's on to knocking things off the dresser. He's smart!

Blessings2You 08-16-2009 07:18 AM

So are you...he obviously has you trained! :D:D

Kitty 08-16-2009 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blessings2You (Post 552409)
So are you...he obviously has you trained! :D:D

:o I know. It's totally my fault.....but he's just so cute and he's so glad to see me when I get up - or so he acts! I swear I think he's part human the way he "talks" to me.

If anyone could hear the conversations we have they'd think I was slightly off my rocker! :o :p

Doody 08-17-2009 06:00 PM

Oh yes, sounds normal to me. Sleep, sleep, sleep! My senior citizen sleeps more than my other 3 however.

mrsD 08-18-2009 11:15 AM

Sheba our 23 yr old cat sleeps 25 hrs a day! Seems like it.;)

She also delights in waking us up at night now. Has me wondering if I have sleep apnea or something? She will yodel like an alarm clock starting at sun up!

She is doing pretty well up here. The really cold days were tough for her, but she seems more limber lately!

Doody 08-18-2009 01:10 PM

*waves at Mrs. D!!! :hug:

Twinkletoes 08-19-2009 07:46 AM

Heya MrsD! My new rescue kitty is named Sheba!!! I hope that means she'll still be alive in 22 years!

Kitty, I went on PetPlace.com and found this: The cat's diet may play an important role in its sleep patterns. Large grazing herbivores must graze for hours to supply their bodies with enough food. But the protein-rich diet of the cat does not require such an investment of time, and allows him plenty of time for napping.

Maybe change their diet to wake them up?