NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   PCS or Neck issues? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/179286-pcs-neck-issues.html)

Chris4329 11-05-2012 11:35 AM

PCS or Neck issues?

I have an appointment for NUCCA consultation this afternoon but I'd like to know about others experience with PCS and neck issues beforehand.

I'm not entirely sure that I actually have neck issues. These are the only reasons that I think I do, but they could all be PCS if I'm mistaken:
1) Moving head sometimes gives short burst of strange feeling in base of head
2) If I hold my head in a strange position for upwards of 1 minute I start to get mild headaches.
3) Driving over bumps in the car gives me mild discomfort.
4) When I'm trying to fall asleep it takes me a while to find a comfortable position for my head to be in
5) If I lay down and hold my head up slightly and turn my head, I get strange sounds like candy wrapper from my upper spine.

As for my PCS symptoms, the only ones that really remain are:
1) Feeling worn down
2) Concentrating at work brings on strange pressure and tingling at rear of head (changes locations some days but always at at rear of head)
3) Driving for 45 mins+ brings on similar feelings

As for cognitive skills and memory I seem to be just fine. Which is why I find myself pushing the limits often when I'm feeling good. I always have this feeling of "finally, this is all behind me" followed by another bad day...

Doh:-0 11-07-2012 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris4329 (Post 928864)
I have an appointment for NUCCA consultation this afternoon but I'd like to know about others experience with PCS and neck issues beforehand.

I'm not entirely sure that I actually have neck issues. These are the only reasons that I think I do, but they could all be PCS if I'm mistaken:
1) Moving head sometimes gives short burst of strange feeling in base of head
2) If I hold my head in a strange position for upwards of 1 minute I start to get mild headaches.
3) Driving over bumps in the car gives me mild discomfort.
4) When I'm trying to fall asleep it takes me a while to find a comfortable position for my head to be in
5) If I lay down and hold my head up slightly and turn my head, I get strange sounds like candy wrapper from my upper spine.

As for my PCS symptoms, the only ones that really remain are:
1) Feeling worn down
2) Concentrating at work brings on strange pressure and tingling at rear of head (changes locations some days but always at at rear of head)
3) Driving for 45 mins+ brings on similar feelings

As for cognitive skills and memory I seem to be just fine. Which is why I find myself pushing the limits often when I'm feeling good. I always have this feeling of "finally, this is all behind me" followed by another bad day...

Just know, some head trauma combines neck and pinched nerve issuse. If you know a physical therapist or massage therapist, they may be able to teach you some self help technices for moderate relief. /excuse my bad spell/ Take Care, Hope you feel better. :-)

pepa 11-07-2012 05:49 PM

Most likely you have both a neck problem and a pcs.

When "moving" your neck brings on symptoms it is usually because the neck itself is the cause of symtoms , more specifically the cervical vertebrae.

Whe concentrating as in driving gives you a pressure-type of headache it is the concussion (brain fatigue! usually indicates that you need to rest)

In real life though, it is not always that clear cut and some symptoms do overlap.(different types of headaches can occur altogether!).

in any case seeing a good chiropractor can be very helpful.

Mark in Idaho 11-08-2012 04:30 AM

Chris,

Upper neck injuries are very common with concussions. The doctors often over-look them.

There is a special chiropractic skill called Upper Cervical Chiropractic. Check out www.nucca.org and www.atlasorthagonality.com

Be very careful with chiros who do the "twist the head and pop the neck" adjustments. They are often to aggressive for the upper cervical injuries.

Some physical therapist can help with gentle traction and manual manipulations.

With any upper neck treatments, be sure to ice the area after.

My best to you.

sospan 11-08-2012 08:35 AM

Thanks Mark

Quite interesting

The link for atlas is http://www.atlasorthogonality.com/

Minor typo - and i thought you were perfect;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 929709)
Chris,

Upper neck injuries are very common with concussions. The doctors often over-look them.

There is a special chiropractic skill called Upper Cervical Chiropractic. Check out www.nucca.org and www.atlasorthagonality.com

Be very careful with chiros who do the "twist the head and pop the neck" adjustments. They are often to aggressive for the upper cervical injuries.

Some physical therapist can help with gentle traction and manual manipulations.

With any upper neck treatments, be sure to ice the area after.

My best to you.

Chris4329 11-08-2012 03:27 PM

Mark: I recall reading in one of your posts that you also had head movement problems? Are those neck related or attributed to your concussion?

Thanks for the references. I already have my first NUCCA appointment tomorrow. I opted for it since it sounds a little less obtrusive. I don't really trust doctors moving around my vertebra, especially the most important one of them all...

Jomar 11-08-2012 06:09 PM

Don't discount soft tissue causes also...

Chris4329 11-08-2012 07:15 PM

What can I do for my neck? Heat or Ice? I recall someone saying that you can never go wrong with ice but you can with heat. This is contradicting what my IMS physio says. She says ice is only after for inflammation whereas heat is any time.

Mark in Idaho 11-09-2012 06:48 AM

Chris,

I have 2 problems with head movement. The sub-concussive type of movement that leaves me with a metallic taste in my mouth and/or a sense of mental disorder. I can shake my head 'NO' and get this feeling. I have trouble riding down rough roads in a car. I need to lean forward so my back is not in contact with the back of the seat and my body absorbs the road jarring.

I also have a C-1 to occiput injury that has never healed. In fact, I was unable to sleep at all last night because any time I relaxed my neck, the left occipital condyle to C-1 joint would be painful. The pain radiated down my neck following the left Sternocleidomastoid muscle and Trapezius muscle as they spasmed.

I finally stopped trying to sleep and got up and put an ice pack on it. After an hour of ice, it finally relaxed and the pain and spasm went away. So, I finally got to sleep about 6:00 am.

Ice is good for any time a joint is worked or exercised to prevent or reduce inflammation. Heat is used to encourage blood flow for healing. Heat is not helpful when there is inflammation.

3 chiros, 2 physical therapists, and a physiatrist (Rehabilitation and Physical Medicine MD) have all told me the importance of ice. 15 to 30 minutes on, 15 to 30 minutes off. repeat as often as possible when symptomatic.

Ice has always been helpful for me. We keep soft ice packs in the freezer.

I have had some rough days this week. Now, with my neck feeling better, my days and nights have settled down.

My neck problem also coincides with peripheral neuropathy/burning feet syndrome where my feet feel very hot. They are not actually hot in temperature but have a burning feeling. Sometimes, they get so hot feeling that I can not sleep.