NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Leg weakness (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/144802-leg-weakness.html)

zorro1 02-12-2011 12:06 AM

Leg weakness

I have alcoholic neuropathy. last week I had a severe gout attack around the knee. This really compressed the nerves and caused serious flaring in the left foot. During this time i couldnt lift my left leg when laying down mostly due to pain but I felt at then time due to weakness as well. I have had 'concrete legs' in the past and the symptoms came and went,,

Now the gout is nearly cleared up Im still having a lot of weakness in my left leg with some difficulty walking and some slight trembling. the leg actually feels weaker and sort of feels like it wants to buckle. Using a cane steadies this . Also Im feeling some sort of dull pain in my hip left buttock area.

have also noticed slightly less muscle tone in the left leg but it may have always been there.

Laying in the recliner with legs flat it takes more energy to raise the left leg with some very dull pain in the left lower hip buttock are and also dull pain in the left knee (residual gout)

Any thoughts? I havnt hit the gym in years and rarley use leg muscles unless walking which I have cut back on by 50% at least

maybe its time to build more muscle mass?
edit

actually last 6 months have cut back on walking 80% . just realizing now it was depression creeping in.

glenntaj 02-12-2011 07:35 AM

Sounds from here--

--as if you may have some compression going on in the sicatic nerve distribution or its branches--it can come from compression on the nerve (the body's largest) itself, of from spinal compression "higher up".

Most people with metabolic, vascular, or autoimmune neuropathies seem vulnerable to the "double crush effect"--that is, once a nerve has been damaged, an additional compressive insult produces symptoms that are more than the sum of the constituent parts, so to speak. It may be worth it to get a little imaging done.

stagger 02-12-2011 07:44 AM

Hello.
Having this affliction over 6 years I'm at the stage you mention (severe leg weakness and stiffness). I use a wheelchair when doing chores in the kitchen and shaving. Some folks are still getting out and about after having PN over 10 years. I don't know how many stages one goes thru having this crud, but I believe I'm in the final stages as most of the time is spent in bed (body feels better at rest) and I do much better in hot weather. Have used most of the meds mentioned on this forum as well as the supplements. Only take amitripyline and a baby asprin and Naproxen Sodium for muscle pain, went off the Methadone last week. IMO Methadone was the best of the meds except for the constipation. I guess the next thing I get hit with will be blood clots in the leg. As the old melody goes "Don't get around much anymore":winky:

zorro1 02-12-2011 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenntaj (Post 743769)
--as if you may have some compression going on in the sicatic nerve distribution or its branches--it can come from compression on the nerve (the body's largest) itself, of from spinal compression "higher up".

Most people with metabolic, vascular, or autoimmune neuropathies seem vulnerable to the "double crush effect"--that is, once a nerve has been damaged, an additional compressive insult produces symptoms that are more than the sum of the constituent parts, so to speak. It may be worth it to get a little imaging done.

Im pretty sure its the sicatic nerve the reason being is I have had a 2inch wide numb area that runs from my hip to my knee exactly where the sicatic nerve is. Ive had this numb are from day one although most of my p/n is in my feet.

"It may be worth it to get a little imaging done"

can you expand on this. what does it involve and what can be done about any outcome

edit , found it

Magnetic resonance imaging

Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) can examine muscle quality and size, detect any fatty replacement of muscle tissue, and determine whether a nerve fiber has sustained compression damage. The MRI equipment creates a strong magnetic field around the body. Radio waves are then passed through the body to trigger a resonance signal that can be detected at different angles within the body. A computer processes this resonance into either a three-dimensional picture or a two-dimensional "slice" of the scanned area.

zorro1 02-12-2011 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stagger (Post 743770)
Hello.
Having this affliction over 6 years I'm at the stage you mention (severe leg weakness and stiffness). I use a wheelchair when doing chores in the kitchen and shaving. Some folks are still getting out and about after having PN over 10 years. I don't know how many stages one goes thru having this crud, but I believe I'm in the final stages as most of the time is spent in bed (body feels better at rest) and I do much better in hot weather. Have used most of the meds mentioned on this forum as well as the supplements. Only take amitripyline and a baby asprin and Naproxen Sodium for muscle pain, went off the Methadone last week. IMO Methadone was the best of the meds except for the constipation. I guess the next thing I get hit with will be blood clots in the leg. As the old melody goes "Don't get around much anymore":winky:

Stagger, yeah this stuff is no fun :(
Do you have any pain in your legs apart from weakness? I dont have any pain except in my left foot however if I squeeze my knee it produces an instant reaction in my foot like a ZAPping sensation.

I have also been conscious of not using my feet since like you its easier to lay down however Im a firm believer of use it or lose it so lately have been pushing myself harder.

I find it more difficult to stand after sitting for a while now. Usually i have to brace myself before standing. Also I have gained weight in the last 3 years which isnt helping any of this..

stagger 02-12-2011 08:55 AM

zorro13,
I have the burning stiffness in my legs, but I sleep real well and upon awakening my legs are dead have too move them around as they are dead stiff. After sitting awhile it takes an effort to arise, but I also have prostate problems BPH. I know some people who were radiated for prostate cancer and they say the legs get real stiff and uncomfortable after sitting for long periods. My PN started in the left foot but is worse in the right thigh,leg and foot with a neuroma in the right foot. The neuroma started after being on Lyrica and Tramadol for a couple of years. Hope this helps

zorro1 02-12-2011 09:03 AM

Stagger, I dont have any other symptoms apart from numbness and burning squeezing crushing up to ankles. massaging my left leg can cause my left foot to go numb and 'fall asleep"

On awakening I have the same as you but in my feet only. Rising quickly at times can make me very dizzy so that would be an auto immune symptom as well. So far bladder etc all okay

Guess its still early days, so much to look forward to :(

mrsD 02-12-2011 09:11 AM

This really needs a doctor.

It is possible to get gout in the hip... not common ..but possible.

When I strained my hip in a fall...it was very painful and I couldn't move the leg much at all. It was all tendon related.
I ended up in PT and had ultrasound and IFc treatments which helped tremendously.

That numbness sounds like MP. That can come from the back, abdomen or where the nerve exits the abdomen under the inguinal ligament.

You really need to see a doctor, to make sure you don't have tumor or hernia there!

zorro1 02-12-2011 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 743783)
This really needs a doctor.

It is possible to get gout in the hip... not common ..but possible.

When I strained my hip in a fall...it was very painful and I couldn't move the leg much at all. It was all tendon related.
I ended up in PT and had ultrasound and IFc treatments which helped tremendously.

That numbness sounds like MP. That can come from the back, abdomen or where the nerve exits the abdomen under the inguinal ligament.

You really need to see a doctor, to make sure you don't have tumor or hernia there!

Yes doctor time.. whats MP?

mrsD 02-12-2011 09:26 AM

MP= Meralgia Paresthetica

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000401/2109.html
illustration: figure 2B

I've had this (and still do, although it is in remission)..

numbness and pain( when severe) in the upper front thigh.

The link also shows the bursae in the hip, which may also become inflamed.