NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Computers and Technology (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/)
-   -   humming (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/181137-humming.html)

zygopetalum 12-17-2012 08:40 AM

humming

I finally got wireless and computer performance is greatly improved. However I think its croaking, it makes a humming noise. I looked it up and it said it was either the power supply or hard drive. It sounds like its coming from the computer not the cord..would it do that if it were the power supply? Should I just get a cord , I think its the hard drive but what do I know.

I used to have a car that made funny noises and my mechanic told me to turn the radio up, I don't think that will work here.

thanks,
judi

Jomar 12-17-2012 01:14 PM

Is it a desktop or laptop ?

If desktop-
the power supply is in the back of the case usually the upper area where the power cord plugs into.
You can listen in that area to see if the sound is worse from there.

Hard drive is usually in the lower front area.

Possibly could be the fan area and air holes need cleaned out?
Esp if pets in the area shedding and such.

I don't know if you have ever opened the case to clean inside- mainly just careful dusting/blowing out - If you decide to do that shutdown & unplug power cord.

If you decide to open it -
Might be good to google some videos of how to do it, easier that me trying to type it all out. mainly avoid static, and don't bump, jar or overly disturb any inner parts.

I have at times plugged the power cord back in with the case open -to start the computer and listen to locate the odd sounding part.
But I learned on old garage sale puters, so didn't matter if I messed up...

zygopetalum 12-17-2012 10:42 PM

Its an HP laptop. I thought it was the fan too a couple of months ago and took it in because I was too chicken and they said it was fine. It hums but is also a kind of a puttering noise that sometimes sounds a little scrapey (oh oh). The only fan I know sounds like a fan, am I just hearing a lower speed thats running for some reason?

I have HP Health Check which is supposed to check the hard drive and last time it ran it said there were no problems. It hasnt been very long but I tried to run it again this afternoon and screwed it up too. :Bang-Head:I got tired of waiting and tried to cancel it and it didn't seem to stop so I clicked on the x on the little thing on the bottom right that tells you it is running and you click to view progress. (whatever that is called). Now I can't get it to open again at all no matter what I do.

If it doesn't snow too much I will have company on Saturday that may know what is going on. Please don't report me to the computer abuse hot line.

thanks
judi