NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   PCS and Speech difficulty? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/177423-pcs-speech-difficulty.html)

Malsedge 10-03-2012 04:43 PM

PCS and Speech difficulty?

Hiya I'm new here so a brief intro:

I was traveling home from work and was heading up to the top deck of a double decker bus when the driver stopped suddenly and I lost my grip and fell down the entire stair case and hit my head but only got a small bump with how my hair was done saw stars and lost my hearing but didn't pass put... I went to the a&e to get checked out because I didn't have a large bump and my legs where more visually injured there wasn't much attention paid to my migraine like headache and nauseous ness and was put down to shock that I felt that way. A day or two later I started to develope speech difficulties (ie slurring and slow as if I was drunk) thinking it was the pain meds I didn't think too much of it. I stopped taking the meds that night hoping it would help. Since then (it's been a week since the fall) its only gotten worse. My reasoning is gone I am so emotional it's stupid and my speech is distressing. My husband told me I needed to go in to the GP after I tried to go into work but was sent home because he was concerned. The GP sent me to get a CT scan saying that I had probably had a concussion but that came back negative which was a relief. Nowi just don't know what to do. I can't work like this I can't hardly function. I follow up with the GP tomorrow Any advise?

Malsedge 10-03-2012 04:55 PM

And a clearly can't even put sentences together let alone spelling :/

Malsedge 10-03-2012 04:59 PM

And I clearly cannot put sentences together let alone spelling... I work in finance... I need to be sharp and on the ball at all time

Jomar 10-03-2012 05:09 PM

Have you had any upper spine alignment /evaluation?
Are you taking any statins, like lipitor?
Any neck muscle spasms? These can pull the spine out of alignment.

Malsedge 10-03-2012 05:25 PM

No i haven't had that evaluated or looked at. The GP just simply said "looks like you've got PCS we will do a CTscan just to check" and that's all. My neckband upper back/shoulder muscles are sup er tense but nothing spasming.

Not on any other meds for anything and haven't had this problem at all. The last two concussions I had were 6 years ago it ,ought worth mentioning I am under an incredible amount of stress from work. I have been off this past week but under pressure to be back tomorrow.

sospan 10-03-2012 06:26 PM

Hi welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of trying to get treatment for concussion in the UK.

From my limited experience since my own injury 9 months ago it seems that you have some of the most common symptoms. These are not surprising considering the fall you had and the previous one 6 years ago. It is quite common for successive concussions to compound the damage each time causing a longer recovery time.

I too suffer from getting my words out and comprising written text. Although sometimes when I think I am slurring or pausing between words people have commented that what I am saying is coming out fine. Myself and other posters have mentioned that it is not uncommon to feel that you are a third person watching yourself talk.

As you say the feeling you get is like trying to talk or do something when you have had a drink and your mind is trying to function but the words or limbs don't function properly - and to make matters worse you get all the symptoms of a giant hangover - headaches, sensitivity to light and noise, dizziness and nausea.

Hang on in there and follow the advice on this forum to rest and maintain a clean diet

Malsedge 10-04-2012 08:46 AM

I'm new to the NHS as an expat from the states. My speech sounds more like I've had stroke. But all my GP said togay was to rest

sospan 10-04-2012 09:44 AM

Yep, That seems to be the Bristish attitude have a rest, cup of tea and you will be fine - we build an empire on that advice ;)

Mark in Idaho 10-04-2012 03:36 PM

Malsedge,

The States idea is rest too. Specifically, you need quiet rest. That means rest where you have minimal sensory stimulation. You do not need to be in bed or sleeping. In fact, very mild stimulation to keep brain blood flow going is best. Any activity done with the hands is usually OK for light stimulation. Sewing, knitting, playing solitaire with a deck of cards, etc. Limit or eliminate screen time, TV or computer. Limit talking time, especially talking with multiple people.

It may take a few days of rest or even a few months. There is no way to predict your recovery time. If you do not get quiet rest, it will likely be a long recovery. When you start to feel better, slowing return to previous activity levels. Try increasing your activity level at home to see if you still feel good the next day. Most activity will not cause a return of symptoms immediately. There is usually a day lag before feeling bad again. This is why you need to start slow.

Let us know how we can help you. We are here for you.

btw, Doctors in the States don't do much better with concussions.

My best to you.