NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/)
-   -   Extraction of Lower tooth (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/192291-extraction-lower-tooth.html)

ronniealliance 08-03-2013 11:50 AM

Extraction of Lower tooth

I had a difficult extraction of my lower right on July 30, 2013. I,m taking Ibuprofen 400 mg in every 6 hours. If late pain comes back. How long I need to continue? Should I take any antibiotic?

Dr. Smith 08-03-2013 04:25 PM

Welcome ronniealliance,

I'm surprised they didn't give you an antibiotic when they did the extraction.
If you google symptoms extraction infection you'll find the symptoms of post-extraction infection. If you have any of those, I would call the dentist immediately and get an antibiotic.

Doc

Chemar 08-03-2013 07:27 PM

Hi
I would suggest you post about this on our Dental Forum
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum89.html

Bryanna 08-03-2013 08:45 PM

Hi ronniealliance,

Are you taking the pain meds because it hurts or because you are afraid it's going to hurt?

A difficult extraction can refer to many different things. Any extraction site that hurts more than it did after the 4th day from the extraction should be looked at by the oral surgeon. Not all dental extractions require an antibiotic.

If you cannot go several hours without taking the medication due to severe pain and/or the site hurts a lot, then see the OS on monday. If it is really bad, then call his office number and tell the service you are in pain so he can call you back.

Bryanna

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronniealliance (Post 1004535)
I had a difficult extraction of my lower right on July 30, 2013. I,m taking Ibuprofen 400 mg in every 6 hours. If late pain comes back. How long I need to continue? Should I take any antibiotic?

Darlene 08-06-2013 02:24 AM

Greetings!!

ronniealliance,

:Wave-Hello: It is great to have you come and be with us. You will fine a great number of dear friends to listen when you are in need of ears. Please, just let us know how we can help you out. You will find out we are supportive and relaxing place.

Please keep us up to date on your condition. Again welcome, looking forward to seeing you around. My thoughts and prayers are with you. :smileypray:

Blossom25 08-11-2013 12:37 PM

extractions of lower teeth

Sometimes you can get a dry socket. In other words the clot came out that was formed and it's exposing some bone Also when it is a rough extraction some bone fragments can come lose. No matter what the problem can be, you need to go back to the Dentist that extracted the tooth. Meanwhile, be careful of that area. No sucking on a straw or smoking is bad for trying to keep a blood clot in place. No aspirin. No slushing after brushing your teeth. The office should have given you some instructions to go by. Go back to the Dentist. It's not normal to have this much pain after 4 days of the extraction. Blossom25 EDDA with teaching Degree.

Fearfulkid 08-19-2013 10:30 PM

Terrified

Bryanna and others that may be able to help,

I'm new here and couldn't find a place to post this except as a reply.. I'm sorry.

I have two teeth that need to be extracted (1 lower left molar and 1 upper right premolar, I think). Both are decayed and broken to the gum line. I saw my dentist and he gave me 15 days of amoxicillin for the infection, twice a day 500mg each. The last dosage will be on august 26. He referred me to an oral surgeon to have the procedure done.

However, I am 26 years old and no longer in my parents insurance, so I opted for dental hmo plan which meant that I have to see a different dentist and have them refer me to a different oral surgeon. The insurance officially takes in effect on September 1.

I am completely scared because its a new set of professionals that are working with me. Plus I've read horror stories online about the oral surgeon accidentally losing grip of the extracted tooth and it falling into the open airways leading to death. Also, I'm terrified of the iv sedation even though I know for a fact that I can't do just local because I'm apprehensive about pain. Also, I'm quite small at 5'0/ 100lbs and everything medical frightens me :(

I know you've helped eased people's fears of the dentists here, I was hoping you may be able to do the same for me. Thank you soo much in advance. I'm literally crying every night because of this fear and stress.

Darlene 08-20-2013 01:31 AM

Nice to meet you!!

:Wave-Hello: It is great to have you come and be with us. You will fine a great number of dear friends to listen when you are in need of ears. Please, just let us know how we can help you out. You will find out we are supportive and relaxing place.

Click onto the following forum, you will find some wonderful members there to help you out.

Dentistry & Dental Issues:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum89.html

Please keep us up to date on your situation. Again welcome, looking forward to seeing you around. My thoughts and prayers are with you. :smileypray: