NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   spasms (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/140889-spasms.html)

PatriciaQ 12-15-2010 02:14 PM

spasms

;Q having (spasms) in lower back, doesnt matter what Im doing I get them more than a few times a day, their (painful) :icon_mad: this has been going on for sometime now and wanted to know what it mean's if anyone know's?

one, more thing ; what to say to your neuro when he ask's why you waited so long to tell him! dont have an answer :winky:

Kitty 12-15-2010 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CINDERBRAT (Post 726065)
;Q having (spasms) in lower back, doesnt matter what Im doing I get them more than a few times a day, their (painful) :icon_mad: this has been going on for sometime now and wanted to know what it mean's if anyone know's?

one, more thing ; what to say to your neuro when he ask's why you waited so long to tell him! dont have an answer :winky:

I've been having them in my ribcage. The "hug".

If my neuro asked why I waited so long I'd just tell him I didn't see much point in telling him. He'd just prescribe another ineffective pill. :rolleyes: It's MS and it's going to do this sometimes. I've just taken the attitude of "put up and shut up" for myself. Others may see it differently but I'm to the point of just taking care of what I can by myself.

nemsmom 12-15-2010 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitty (Post 726083)
I've been having them in my ribcage. The "hug".

If my neuro asked why I waited so long I'd just tell him I didn't see much point in telling him. He'd just prescribe another ineffective pill. :rolleyes: It's MS and it's going to do this sometimes. I've just taken the attitude of "put up and shut up" for myself. Others may see it differently but I'm to the point of just taking care of what I can by myself.

I've gotten the same way. My doctor is just going to say "Yes it's a flare. No there's nothing I can do. No I don't want an MRI. But we should keep you on your current medications and stay the course." I am taking out some mindless chatter in between but you get the point.

Sorry you're having this pain though. I hope it goes away soon.

SallyC 12-16-2010 12:11 AM

Hi Brat..:):hug: When I get spasms in my lower back, it usually means that those muscles are weak. I used to have that all the time until a physiatrist showed me an exercise to guard against it. Now I hardly ever get them.

I do this in bed, before rising, every day. Lay flat on your back and stretch your legs out, then bring your knees up to your nose, a little at a time, until you can comfortably get there and hold it/them there for a minute (I sometimes hold my legs and rock back and forth) Do this a few times.

Us MSers use our backs too much, when we should be using our legs for lifting and moving.

To strengthen your legs and hips...lay flat and lifting your leg slightly off the mat/bed, swing your right leg out to the right and back a few times and then your left leg out to the left and back. you can feel it in your hips.

This is now a morning ritual with me and it saves me a lot of spasm pain in the small of my back.

I hope it helps you.:)

NeuroNixed Craig 12-16-2010 07:44 AM

There are many "complaints" (I hate that term.) I never bother to share with my doctors because I know there is nothing they can do about it and I sure don't need another Rx.

I believe the only time you need to share detailed information with your doctors is specifically if you are still in the disease evaluation stage and do not have a diagnosis yet.

Debbie D 12-16-2010 11:50 AM

I also do back exercises, and I try to strengthen my core, which helps the back.
I also don't call, even though I get told by the neuro at the appts. about not calling. But when I have called in the past, it does no good. So I don't...

Hope you feel better soon!!:hug: