NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Any research on the benefits of music on the injured brain? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/180936-research-benefits-music-injured-brain.html)

SpaceCadet 12-11-2012 11:45 PM

Any research on the benefits of music on the injured brain?

A friend of mine recently told me that "upbeat music" has a positive effect on the brain. I'm waiting to hear back from him for the article that discusses this subject.

I've done my own research and this is what I've found thus far:

http://dana.org/news/cerebrum/detail.aspx?id=26122

I felt like crap today and could barely function. I noticed after listening to some music that I know by heart...I felt better.

Any research that shows cold hard evidence of improvements in brain functioning from music therapy?

Mark in Idaho 12-12-2012 12:10 AM

Music therapy has been study in many different situations. It is beneficial. If you have found a music that allows you to relax and stay focused, it is probably good. The right music causes just enough brain stimulation to enhance blood flow without raising blood pressure. There is a big difference between upbeat and overly stimulating music. Only you can tell what works for you.

There is music that can stimulate dopamine production (euphoria) without stimulating blood pressure increases from adrenal over-stimulation. Think of the after-glow from sex. Music that allows you to float like that is very good. If you are not getting the first, be sure to get the music like the second.

A good time with Caleb flashing big smiles and laughter with you laughing along is also very good. I sometimes will replay a TV commercial with one of the fabulous smiles just for the brief pleasure. Emily Caillon of Olay Regenerist is one of my favorites. There are some good ones of those gorgeous child faces mugging for the camera too.

Puppies and young animals can elicit the same response. Think of a beautiful sunset or sunrise. Learn to enjoy these simple pleasures. They can greatly enhance you life. This is much different than browsing adult magazines.

I like to savor a good piece of dark chocolate. I nibble tiny bites and let them dissolve on my tongue. I savored some bites of a cherry topped cream cheese pie tonight at Brain Injury Support Group Christmas dinner. Oooooh

Fremont Street experience is way over the top. It is not a simple pleasure. Think of napping with Caleb napping next to you and hearing and smelling his breathing. Not quite like an infant but still good.

Enjoy.

My best to you.

SpaceCadet 12-12-2012 01:27 PM

Mmmm...that sounds delicious lol.

What about warm apple pie, topped with vanilla ice cream? Nothing can beat that in my book.

Thank you for the detailed explanation of how music effects the brain, as well as the info about dopamine production. Caleb is definitely a positive mood changer for me. He doesnt have any friends to play with....so, I will pretend to be a kid and we'll play together with trucks and wrestle around the house. He loves to hear the sounds of an ambulance passing by. He will mock the sound of it and that always make me smile.

Children are definitely a wonderful therapy and natural anti-depressant.

I definitely overloaded myself with music last night. I enjoyed listening to my old songs and singing along, however, my brother and sister stopped by while I was jamming and it forced me to use my divided attention (huge struggle for me). I suddenly went from happy and alert to SPACED OUT. I might have also over exerted myself with the songs that were listened to. Woke up with a "hang over" type feeling and paired with communication troubles.

Well, Im off to making breakfast for Caleb and I.

Catch you later.

Nick

thedude58 12-12-2012 01:54 PM

Heavy rock music has always worked for me and i was just thinking about this today. It helps me concentrate/focus better, and sometimes I focus the music right out, to the point I don't remember listening to my favorite songs, over and over. Thanks for this thread.