NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Shingles Vaccine? (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/203840-shingles-vaccine.html)

poochie 04-28-2014 09:57 AM

Shingles Vaccine?

Anyone know about the shingles vaccine and MS. I don't really get any information on it and I'm afraid to get it without knowing more info. With ms you're just afraid to do anything like this, I just think enough is not known.
'

Kitty 04-28-2014 10:39 AM

I never take any of the vaccines offered today. There's just too much unknown about them and I have enough to deal with having MS.

SallyC 04-28-2014 12:19 PM

I'm with Kitty, avoiding vaccines when I can
I've had Shingles and, most certainly,wouldn't
want it again:eek:, I'm more afraid of the vaccine.

Kitty 04-28-2014 12:37 PM

The ad states "if you've had Chicken Pox the shingles virus is already inside of you". Okay, I've had Chicken Pox. If that's true then why would I take the vaccine?

Erin524 04-28-2014 01:19 PM

Shingles vaccine is a live virus vaccine, isn't it?

http://www.mymsaa.org/news-msaa/925-...vaccine-safety

Erika 04-28-2014 03:06 PM

I'm with Kitty and Sally on the vaccine thing. If you have a shingles outbreak and want a more natural approach for treating it, L-lysine (an amino acid-building block of protein), inhibits its replication and is often just as effective as the medications used to treat it.

With love, Erika

poochie 04-28-2014 03:35 PM

I think I'm with all of you, enough problems with ms, I don't want the vaccine. My mom had shingles 2 times, very miserable, I'll just have to take the chance.:)

JoanB 04-28-2014 10:04 PM

I saw my mother, who did not get vaccinated, suffer with shingles and it was worse than than the multiple myeloma that ultimately killed her. I ran out and got the shingles vaccination the moment they offered it to people under 60. There were no problems for me at all with it.

If you have a compromised immune system, I can understand having concerns about live virus vaccines, but I think the mistrust of vaccines in general is getting out of control in the U.S. The science just doesn't support claims made by anti-vaxxers, especially the stuff about them causing autism in children. And there's no denying that vaccines have saved millions of lives and have prevented the disablement of millions more.

We can all choose what we do concerning this, but I'm going with what the scientists say. If I had to go through what my mother did on top of all the pain and misery of MS, I'm not sure i'd want to stay around for that.

Erin524 04-28-2014 10:21 PM

I had shingles in 1995/96 when I was about 27yrs old. I had shingles at the same time as I had mononucleosis. I have a scar on my chest that follows the line of my bra and down to just below my armpit. It was extremely painful to have shingles where I had it. (some of the rash had broken open and got slightly infected. Probably because of where it was located)

I really do think that having shingles AND mononucleosis at the same time had something to do with my MS symptoms starting during the year after that. I had vertigo a lot, and occasionally my fingers would feel numb for a day or two. I never realized what all that was until actually I found out that I had MS.

I don't know if I can get shingles again. I hope I don't. Because having it once sucked, and I'm pretty sure it had something to do with "waking up" my MS.

Hopeless 04-28-2014 11:57 PM

I got the shingles vaccine a few years ago. NO problems developed. I do not have MS but I do have PN and a host of other conditions. I am not a pro nor con of vaccines, I just did not want to deal with shingles. I was diagnosed with shingles about 50 years ago but who knows if that diagnosis was right or wrong. I got the vaccination and am supposedly protected for the rest of my life against a shingles outbreak,..... so they say.

If I were you, I would consult with the doctor that is treating you for your MS and see what his/her opinion is about it and then it is ultimately your choice.