NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Facial weakness (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/200875-facial-weakness.html)

bny806 02-10-2014 10:23 PM

Facial weakness

I have had this problem a few times, but it does worry me - I had IVIG last wednesday, but unfortunately I was coming down with a bad cold/fever etc.. I have had to cough, and clear my throat, which always worsens things.. The IVIG has kicked in, but my facial weakness seems to have stayed more than I"d like! I have the droopy eyelid and all but the most bothersome are my lips!
I am having droopy nose, my lips feel swollen almost, and I can barely purse them.. swallowing is affected and double vision.. ugh.. anyone else get this lip weakness part.. I have the ugliest snarl smile right now!

4-eyes 02-11-2014 07:23 AM

Sorry you are sick. That never helps MG! :(

I've had the weakness you describe and more. It's time to take care and rest as you can so things don't worsen and affect breathing. If you have trouble with that or with managing saliva, call your doctor.

Feel better soon!

limpy 02-11-2014 09:47 AM

When I am feeling weaker, like when my meds run out, my lower lip is very slack and protrudes and hangs down, showing my lower teeth and gums. I can smile, but it is very twitchy and an effort. My eyelids nearly cover my eyes and my cheeks sag down. When I try to look at anything, I have deep furrows in my brow. Mostly this happens late in the day, but stressors, like being sick can bring it on too. I have probably said this before, but when I look in the mirror, I look like the sad faced theatrical symbol and I don't even recognize myself.
I had this late yesterday evening before going to bed, but this morning everything is back in place.
Hope you feel better soon!

bny806 02-11-2014 11:34 AM

Thank yall so much! I am feeling better after getting some rest last night and the cold/cough improving.. but still having some issues..

Limpy -yes.. I knew i wasn't feeling great, a little short of breath and felt my face was droopy.. but when I looked into the mirror I was a little freaked out haha.. the person looking back at me looked like me 2.5 years ago before IVIG.. I too get the furrow between my brows,, kind of look angry, old ,grumpy and droopy!

I realized too, that I had chewed gum for the first time in about a year or two 3 days ago or so.. my jaws are SOOO sore.. and I haven't been able to hold my jaw shut since then.. I know, it was stupid of me to chew gum, but I miss simple things like that... needless to say I'll be avoiding gum from here on out... and germs as much as I can!

cait24 02-11-2014 10:52 PM

My lips tremble when they get weak and my smile is a snarl. Try some ice packs on your face, it helps me.

hope you feel better soon
kathie

bny806 02-11-2014 11:35 PM

Thanks Kathie - Yes, I get that same sensation - like they are vibrating with weakness... I struggle to keep my mouth and lips shut! Chewing gum was just not intelligent of me :( My lips are much better today.. and face too, but I'm still a bit short of breath.. hopefully tomorrow that will be better. I was worried I was going to have to go in to the Dr earlier today due to the weakness and breathing.. I haven't felt that way in at least 8 months.. ugh..