NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Tens unit (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/146296-tens-unit.html)

snookie12303 03-08-2011 08:48 PM

Tens unit

has anyone used a personal tens unit for neuropathy? i used my chair massager that pulses quickly in key spots. before i used it i couldn't raise my legs off of the bed. i put the vibrating section under the left side of my very low spine. about thirty minutes later i realized i could lift my leg up without difficulty, still couldn't raise right leg. i have since put the spot under the middle. couldn't lift either at begining, by end i could lift both and get up and off the bed like it was nothing. the effects last up to about two hours. i am going to ask PT tomorrow about it.

Dr. Smith 03-08-2011 11:48 PM

Hi snookie12303,

That's good that you found something that helps, even temporarily; I think that suggests longer duration relief is possible and worthwhile pursuing.

However, a TENS unit is not the same as a massage unit, though they can both be set to cause what feels like a buzzing sensation. A vibrator does just that - it physically vibrates. A TENS unit sends electrical current through the body, which can have different effects depending on the frequency, pulse width, and intensity.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TENS

Trying a TENS unit most likely wouldn't be deleterious, and could even be therapeutic, but the two aren't the same (but if it works, who cares, right? ;) )

I have a unit that I've used with mixed results for different pain issues. I haven't had any luck using it for PN, but I've found other things that work very well - enough that I'm not motivated to keep experimenting with the TENS (for PN). Others may have had better results.

It's certainly worth asking your PT about, and even trying if s/he is willing to hook you up and find the right spots and settings (both critical for success).

Hope it works for you!

Doc

glenntaj 03-09-2011 06:50 AM

I have a TENS unit--

--that has been relatively effective in relieving pain and parastheses while on--it replaces those sensations with other that are more tolerable, especially if I keep it in a constantly stimulating mode (no "pulses").

Unfortunately, when shut off or removed, the effect disappears rather quickly.

aussiemom 03-09-2011 12:17 PM

I love my TENs. I can put up to 8 electrodes on it, sleep great!

Dr. Smith 03-09-2011 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aussiemom (Post 751581)
I love my TENs. I can put up to 8 electrodes on it, sleep great!

Then wouldn't it be an EIGHTS? :p

aussiemom 03-09-2011 10:38 PM

Funny man!! Yeah, I guess so. Who cares, if I've got all 8 on, I look a bit strange with all the wires, but I feeeeeel gooood!

snookie12303 03-09-2011 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aussiemom (Post 751735)
Funny man!! Yeah, I guess so. Who cares, if I've got all 8 on, I look a bit strange with all the wires, but I feeeeeel gooood!

can't wait for mine to come. can't stand being a slave to the pain.

snookie12303 03-10-2011 05:27 PM

OMG this thing is like a miracle drug. i started using it today and i can stand,walk and get up from sqauting without difficulty. earlier today i could barely move.

dahlek 03-10-2011 09:42 PM

I for one, am....

Soo glad that something is giving you relief!

:Dancing-Chilli: & :trampoline: & :yahoo:
I think that says it all?
:hug::hug::hug:'s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - j

snookie12303 03-11-2011 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahlek (Post 751964)
Soo glad that something is giving you relief!

:Dancing-Chilli: & :trampoline: & :yahoo:
I think that says it all?
:hug::hug::hug:'s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - j

i'm in heaven. i'm so proud to get out of a chair by myself or get in and out of my van easily. i can drive again. i still am experimenting with probe placement to get my arms back. i still have the stiffness/ache without the machine but at least i can use my legs again.