NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Pregnancy? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/170904-pregnancy.html)

ClumsyCharlie 06-03-2012 04:06 PM

Pregnancy?

I'm curious if anyone knew how PCS affects pregnancy and does it increase the likelihood of miscarriage?

Mark in Idaho 06-03-2012 05:44 PM

It should not effect the pregnancy but the pregnancy should benefit the PCS since it causes an increase in progesterone. Progesterone is a neuro-protectant to assist the neurological development of the baby. This same benefit would be available to the PCS subject.

The only concern would be to be careful or avoid anti-depressant drugs as they can cause problems.

The raging hormones may cause a bit of roller coaster but that is to be expected.

camyam73 06-03-2012 07:37 PM

I was on progesterone as fertility treatments after my pcs started... it really helped, so with any luck the natural progesterone produced by a pregnancy will have the same effect.

EsthersDoll 06-03-2012 08:19 PM

My Dr. recently told me that there is a 50% chance that pregnancy will alleviate PCS and a 50% chance that it will aggravate PCS. She says it's really a toss up and that every woman's brain injury is different and that pregnancy can effect the recovery process either way depending on the brain. She's seen it go both ways.

RiWi 08-17-2012 11:24 PM

I'm really curious about this topic as well. I found out last week I'm expecting and have had PCS for about 5 months.

I initially was pretty terrified about dealing with the pcs symptoms with no medication but I'm at a good place now.

I was feeling really good for almost a week but had some dizziness and pain/pressure in my ears today.

I dont have an appointment with the doc until Wednesday. In the mean time I'm trying to find answers to my questions online and am coming up with nothing.

I did read about the benefit of progesterone.

Anyone talk to their doc about the delivery effecting symptoms? My concern would be the stress/straining would exacerbate the symptoms.
That is many months away for me so hoping for a lot of healing between now and then.

Best to you all :)

Healinghopefull 05-11-2013 04:31 PM

Update?

Hi mamas! I was wondering an update if you got pregnant and how it effected your PCS? I am 15 months pcs and although my financial situation is not ideal, I feel so ready.....

DFayesMom 05-11-2013 07:31 PM

My PCS began when I was pregnant!

I didn't know at the time that I had PCS. I just thought it was baby brain + being off my ADD meds. In retrospect, that period of time makes much more sense.

I was a disaster at work, but people were nice to me and I just did not care about my job performance. I know that sounds bad, but I was just so chock full of happy pregnancy hormones! Nothing mattered to me but having my baby! Even though I had some physical problems, I was a pretty happy mama. I think it depends on who you are and how you handle hormones.

My labor went on for 20 hours and then I ended up needing a c-section. I don't remember my PCS symptoms being an issue. I don't think I would have even noticed a headache if I'd had one. I was just focused on having the baby!

So I can't really answer as to whether my pcs symptoms were worse when pregnant, but I can tell you my criteria for having #2. I need to be physically strong and emotionally well. Pregnancy is hard on your body, and since I had a neck injury, I really need to make sure it's healed enough for me not to be dealing with pain all the time. I need to be emotionally stable to get off my antidepressants. I'm not there yet, but I hope to be soon!

MiaVita2012 05-11-2013 07:43 PM

Good Luck

I have a teenage daughter and I have had PCS for almost 2years.I am at the opposite of you I am single, cannot take BC, and the thought of me down the road to physically be pregnant with all my medical issues I am a one and done women.I am getting surgery on Monday a essure so I will be not pregnant ever again.

If I do ever get married again it would have to be someone that would be ok with adoption. Good luck and I wish you the best.