NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Pets & Wildlife (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/)
-   -   2010~ Molly and McGee barn owls! (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/117351-2010-molly-mcgee-barn-owls.html)

mrsD 03-22-2010 08:08 AM

2010~ Molly and McGee barn owls!

The first hatching has occurred and the little chick "Max" is making quite a din this morning.(there is sound there)

There are 5 eggs, and Molly is very beautiful to watch.

Since the hummingbird cams are in hiatus ..waiting for new nesting and egg laying...the owl cam is a good substitute.
They have many viewers too, very popular. over 6000 this morning!

Here is the link:

It has night vision, since the owls are most active at night. The night stuff is in black and white, the day stuff is in color.

mrsD 03-24-2010 07:05 AM

There is a second baby owl now hatched.

I have to say, this cam is very interesting and has more emotional punch than I first thought.

It had over 10,000 viewers the other day too!

Watching Molly eat various mammals can be difficult. Yesterday she ate a rat, and swallowed the tail whole, like a long strand of spagetti! (the bunnies are not for the faint of heart either) :thud:

However, I just watched her tuck a tiny owlet chick under her wing, with such gentle care with that same shredding beak, that it was amazing! A lot of extremes on this cam!

Kitty 03-24-2010 07:46 AM

What's the website address? Can anyone watch? :)

mrsD 03-24-2010 07:49 AM

OMGosh.... did I forget the link?

I edited the first post.

Kitty 03-24-2010 10:24 AM

Thanks! This is just as addictive as the hummingbirds! :)

Jaime_S 03-25-2010 02:54 AM

First time I've watched this, but not a lot was happening, the bird was napping! lol Well, I guess it's night time in your part of the world...hang on, aren't owls usually awake at night?! :D

mrsD 03-25-2010 03:03 AM

Yes, I live in EST US and best viewing for me has been between
6am-9am Since Calif is 3 hrs behind us. At night the camera is only black and white.

Owls are more active at night, so I guess you'll have to consult a time zone map to find your best times to view.

The male owl, McGee brings food for Molly and the chicks.
I have never seen that happen yet however.

There are videos listed at the bottom of the page, and one is of the two chicks when Molly left briefly to do Owlish hygiene issues. I think it was from early hours yesterday. So the best parts are saved and you can still view them.

Be advised that this Owl cam is more graphic involving eating dead mammals than the Eagle cam is. The eagles seem very dainty compared to Molly IMO ..;)

mrsD 03-25-2010 04:54 PM

Here is a link to a saved video of Molly feeding the two chicks...
If you enlarge the screen you can see it clearly.

Kitty 03-25-2010 07:56 PM

That is amazing! BTW.....what is that she's feeding them? :confused:

mrsD 03-26-2010 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitty (Post 636851)
That is amazing! BTW.....what is that she's feeding them? :confused:

errrr... small mammals are the typical fare.

This video has alot of interesting things on it. Babies view (there are now 3 hatched chicks) and a short narration in the beginning by Carlos (the owner) and the new e-book deal he is completing.
(proceeds to go to bird habitat development in his area).

We get to see Dad, McGee, the chicks and get to hear owlish communication between the adults and more dead mammals.

This video shows Molly eating the old eggshell that was Austin's when he hatched. Some birds eat the shell to replenish the calcium.