NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   General Health Conditions & Rare Disorders (https://www.neurotalk.org/general-health-conditions-and-rare-disorders/)
-   -   I don't know what's wrong with me (https://www.neurotalk.org/general-health-conditions-and-rare-disorders/186489-dont-whats-wrong.html)

ithinkimcrazy 04-06-2013 01:43 AM

I don't know what's wrong with me

Hi, everyone. I suffer from depression and as of late, I have been managing it well. However, I am noticing a new problem... I don't make sense. I know that seems weird but I just don't. I say things and people are like "What?!" For example, I was trying to tell some friends about going to an upcoming social event and they agreed. I then told then that we needed to go because every time we plan to we don't and I want to go! Well, one of my friends pointed out that we did not go because they had moved the event to another town and we weren't going to drive all the way there. I kept insisting that that was not the reason and then I just blurted out something that was completely irrelevant and everyone laughed. I did not know why they were laughing because at the time I thought it made sense. Another example would be that one of my friends helped me write a speech I am to give soon and in it she called herself the "greatest." I then said "You always talk about yourself," which caused a HUGR uproar. She insisted I was not grateful for her help or anything she has done for me however, when I said it I felt I was joking and stating the obvious. Lol.
Basically, what I am trying to say is that what makes sense to me does not make sense to others. I can give several examples of how something in my head may seem completely logic but when I say it, it sounds like complete nonsense. Can anyone help me? I just want to make sense to myself and other people.

Brain patch 04-06-2013 01:47 PM

Hi,
I also am suffering with major depression among other things. You probably have an anxiety disorder as well. I also have poor impulse control and do not explain things properly. I know what you mean. Do you have any other problems besides the depression that you know of? Are you on any medications? Sometimes the medication can be the cause of such problems. I am sorry that you are going through this. I hope you are working with a doctor and can find something that helps you.
Brain

ConsiderThis 04-07-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ithinkimcrazy (Post 972430)
Hi, everyone. I suffer from depression and as of late, I have been managing it well. However, I am noticing a new problem... I don't make sense. I know that seems weird but I just don't. I say things and people are like "What?!".

Hi, I don't think you're crazy. I've sure been there, saying things that sound crazy and come out despite not being what I mean.

Years ago at a pancake breakfast before Lent, one of the guests was talking about some famous person that had something go wrong with his brain, so that if he wanted someone to pass the salt, he might say, "Can you open the window?"

Back then I laughed, though I knew it must be major frustrating to have that kind of problem.

More recently I was living in a condo I bought not knowing it had been built over a full, outdoor toilet pit. I began to fall a lot, to have memory problems, and to have a lot of trouble saying things clearly. At one point I was being interviewed for a tiny spot on the news. The reporter asked me how I knew something was wrong. I said I wasn't feeling well. What I meant was that I had lost feeling in my feet, causing me to fall lot.

Sigh. It still makes me sad to have lost my former wonderful ability to say things well and clearly. But, on the other hand a lot of practice and vitamin B12 has brought massive improvement.

That said, have you looked into the symptoms of low vitamin B12? Depression is certainly one symptom of low vitamin B12.

My doctor said I should be on Prozac for life, and No, he would not write me a prescription for more vitamin B12.

When I began having more than one B12 shot a month, my depression went away. When I changed to a holistic doctor who wrote me a prescription for the cobalamin for a shot a day, horrible peripheral neuropathy pain that I'd had for years went away. Doctors had all said it was permanent nerve damage.

If I were you, I'd look into symptoms of low vitamin B12... Doing that changed my life for the better.

ViolinAddict 04-09-2013 04:28 PM

Are you on any meds for depression? If so, talk to your psychiatrist about this issue. It could be a side effect. Side effects can develop even after years of taking a drug, so check it out. Also, have you stopped or changed any drugs? Even changes as simple as missing a dose can cause withdrawal symptoms that sound a lot like what you are describing. Good luck!