NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   Shingles and MS (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/161989-shingles-ms.html)

Natalie8 12-13-2011 11:08 PM

Shingles and MS

I went to the doctor today only to find out I have shingles! :( (a small patch of 6 bumps under my armpit)

I'm on Tysabri and get my infusion every 8 weeks. My last infusion was November 10 so I am assuming I have plenty of time to recover. The doc gave me Valtrex.

Is there anything in particular I should know about MS and shingles? Any suggestions on how to manage? Anything "natural" to use along with the Valtrex?

I have never had shingles and am not a happy camper right now. :(

Thanks for any help you can give!!

SallyC 12-13-2011 11:35 PM

Sorry Natalie..ugh! Shingles and MS come from the same herpes virus, IMHO, and we usually end up with both at one time or another..:mad:

Take your valtrex and whatever for pain and just ride it out. The Valtrex will help it go away a bit faster, I think.

My sympathies..:hug:

Erin524 12-14-2011 12:30 AM

lucky you, you have Valtrex!

When I had shingles, I didnt know what it was, and it was on the side of my chest, in an area that I didnt want people to see, so I never went to the doctor for it. It really hurt, because my bra strap when over it and irritated it. Still have the scars from it. (I also had mono and strep at around the same time. I was an unhappy camper that winter)

It was only years later that I saw pictures of shingles and went..."hey...that looks/sounds familiar!"

Hope you recover quick!

Twinkletoes 12-14-2011 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natalie8 (Post 832169)
I went to the doctor today only to find out I have shingles! :( (a small patch of 6 bumps under my armpit)

I'm on Tysabri and get my infusion every 8 weeks. My last infusion was November 10 so I am assuming I have plenty of time to recover. The doc gave me Valtrex.

Is there anything in particular I should know about MS and shingles? Any suggestions on how to manage? Anything "natural" to use along with the Valtrex?

I have never had shingles and am not a happy camper right now. :(

Thanks for any help you can give!!

Well, Natalie, I guess you'd just as well make the most of your shingles and start a roofing business. :D

Oh that was baaad -- sorry!!! :rolleyes:

Sorry about your stupid shingles -- that stinks! I hope its a mild case for you, friend. :hug: Feel better!!! :)

Debbie D 12-14-2011 04:28 PM

Did you call your neuro to let him/her know? It's important when we have things like this come up to let them know...
hope your med works quickly!!:hug:

aussiemom 12-14-2011 07:58 PM

I've heard people say they use lidoderm patches for the pain. They are rx and not cheap! I had chicken pox as a kid, its the same virus, waiting for the shingles.

Lynn 12-16-2011 07:56 AM

Ouch!!!

I have heard that Shingles are nasty and painful. I had adult chicken pox at 28 and often wonder if shingles will come to me at some stage - I hope not. MS visited me a couple of years after the chicken pox, I had 'Mono' or glandular fever as it is known in Aus years ago

Interesting that these rotten things all seem to be linked.

I hope you aren''t in too much pain.

Lyn

SallyC 12-16-2011 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn (Post 832822)
Ouch!!!
Interesting that these rotten things all seem to be linked.
Lyn

Exactly, and as soon as they find the missing link, we will have a cure. In the meantime, big pharma is not interested..:mad:

FinLady 12-17-2011 11:57 AM

Hope the shingles clear up soon, Natalie. :hug::hug::hug:

NurseNancy 12-18-2011 08:47 AM

fyi, there's a shingles vaccine available for folks over the age of 60.

also, please know that shingles are VERY contagious but i can't remember for how long. i hope your dr discussed that with you. i'm sure you could google it and get the info.

i hope your's clears up quickly and you're not in too much pain.