NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   Cgirl has Topamax ?... (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/22399-cgirl-topamax.html)

colombiangirl1 06-22-2007 07:43 PM

Cgirl has Topamax ?...

I've heard, that a common side effect of Topamax, is weight loss. I am thinking of trying to get this prescribed for me, instead, of Risperdal. Which, incidentally, I have gained 35 lbs. on in the past 3 months, since, my dosage was adjusted.Am now taking the max dose of Risperdal (6mg). All in all, in the last 6 years, have gained 160 lbs. from Zyprexa, then, lost 70 of it, only to gain back 35. I really need some help here. My dr. won't put me on Topamax just for weight loss. He will most likely swich me to Geodon, when, i go to see him in July. However, I could get a different dr. to prescribe Topamax, and, just go over his head. This, really seems like a viable answer to me right now. Any input anyone?

Peace, and, Love,
Cgirl

DiMarie 06-22-2007 08:37 PM

weight loss

I did not have weight loss on Topomax 100 mg, but on 20 mg of Lexapro weight feel off in days. I am at a platue, but it has deminished my appatite, I have to think I need to eat. A salad is satisfying, no cravings for sweets.
If I open potato chips, I barely eat two.

I had to work up to 20 mg, from 5 to 10 then 20 mg.
I hope the topamax works, I still use it for migraine treatment.
Di

colombiangirl1 06-23-2007 06:19 AM

Is Lexapro...

A mood stabalizer, like, Risperdal? Or, is it an anti-depressant? As long as I'm asking, for that matter, is Topamax a mood stabalizer, also?
Thanks,
Cgirl

Dmom3005 06-23-2007 06:27 PM

Lexapro I believe is a anti depressant. Topamax is a anti seizure medicine.
Used for migraines, and depression sometimes. But I know its also used for mood stabilization too. Your best bet is to find reasons it would help you other than weight loss.

Donna

mollymcn 06-23-2007 09:57 PM

It sounds like from your medication history that you have Bipolar I. Topamax isn't a mood-stabilizer: so that is probably a reason why you shouldn't switch! I'm on Topamax myself, but if you have Bipolar I, Topamax is supposed to be used only as a secondary medication to a primary mood-stalization medication. Topamax itself is an anti-seizure medication. I have Bipolar II "soft" bipolar, so i mostly have depression, and take 3 (count 'em!) anti-depressants, plus the topamax to even out the mini-manic episodes that I have.
I have lost tons of weight from the topamax, but that is no picnic either: I have to force myself to eat because I have no appetite, and have to drink those disgusting protein shakes (bleh).
Maybe you could talk to your doc about adding topamax?

colombiangirl1 06-24-2007 06:42 PM

I have schizoaffective disorder...

That, is a combination of both bipolar, and, schizophrenia. I don't know which kind of bipolar, i have. My dr. talked about adding topamax, then, said, he wouldn't give it to me solely for weight loss. I tried later on, to talk to him about giving it to me for mood stabilization, but, he said that my risperdal already did that. so, I don't know, if, I could even get him to add it at all. Maybe, I could get him to add lexapro for depression. I have heard from two people, that, they lost weight on that. What, is Bipolar I? What, is Bipolar II?

Peace, and, love
Cgirl

bizi 06-24-2007 08:31 PM

I am on geodon an anti psychotic and have been able to lose weight while on it. Lilke was stated before topamax is not a single use only mood stabilizer. I take lamictal as my mood stabilizer and I am bipolar one...lean towards mania side vs. bipolar 2 which leans toward depression side. google them and there is a plethera of infomation for you. Als go to the links at the top of the threads in the sticky area...there is good information there as well as useful links to topics as well.
i wish you wellness.
bizi

Mari 06-24-2007 11:34 PM

Dear Cgirl,

Not everyone looses weight on Topamax. According to the studies, only 15 percent of adults loose weight.
It is not a strong drug for a mood stabilizer.

I can see why you want to loose weight after putting up with the side effects of the Risperdal.
Maybe you can give the Geodon a try.

My definition of the difference between bipolar I and bipolar 2:

Bipolar 1 -- the pdocs try to medicate the mania mostly
Bipolar 2 -- the pdocs try to medicate the depression mostly

Mixed mania -- I don't know what category that is. That is what I had before I was medicated.

Good luck.
M.