NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Help, I need info. on hyperaric chambers. (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/118079-help-info-hyperaric-chambers.html)

wswells 04-01-2010 12:41 PM

Help, I need info. on hyperaric chambers.

Can anyone out there please explain how the hyperbaric oxygen chambers help people with RSD I've had it since 1986 and the first I've heard of it was when I found this website. I have a great Dr. down here in Fl. and have seen Dr. Schwartzman in Philly, none of my Dr.'s have ever mentioned it , they have talked to me about the pump, DCS and other ways of treating the RSD,but nothing about the chamber. They told me the RSD is full body, inside and out I've had hundreds of nerve blocks ,3 sympathectomies, TOS and just about everything else, to a point that my neurologist told me I am to be palliative care only,nothing invasive. Well the chamber is not invasive. How does it work? And does it work or help? Thanks for any responses in advance. I look forward to hearing all about it. Still in pain. Wendy

keep smilin 04-01-2010 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wswells (Post 639123)
Can anyone out there please explain how the hyperbaric oxygen chambers help people with RSD I've had it since 1986 and the first I've heard of it was when I found this website. I have a great Dr. down here in Fl. and have seen Dr. Schwartzman in Philly, none of my Dr.'s have ever mentioned it , they have talked to me about the pump, DCS and other ways of treating the RSD,but nothing about the chamber. They told me the RSD is full body, inside and out I've had hundreds of nerve blocks ,3 sympathectomies, TOS and just about everything else, to a point that my neurologist told me I am to be palliative care only,nothing invasive. Well the chamber is not invasive. How does it work? And does it work or help? Thanks for any responses in advance. I look forward to hearing all about it. Still in pain. Wendy

Wendy..
I a msorry for your advanced RSD..I know Loretta is well versed and waiting for the HBOT intervention... My Dr. here at home mentioned it to me and she ran right out to call our local medical center to ask if I would be a candidate..but she told me unfortuantely..I am not..reason being my RSD is too advanced, 3 yrs. into RSD, whole body plus internal... so I can't have it...I hope others are able to help you more...have a great day,

Kathy:grouphug:

wswells 04-01-2010 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keep smilin (Post 639129)
Wendy..
I a msorry for your advanced RSD..I know Loretta is well versed and waiting for the HBOT intervention... My Dr. here at home mentioned it to me and she ran right out to call our local medical center to ask if I would be a candidate..but she told me unfortuantely..I am not..reason being my RSD is too advanced, 3 yrs. into RSD, whole body plus internal... so I can't have it...I hope others are able to help you more...have a great day,

Kathy:grouphug:

Hi Kathy, I wonder if that is why none of my Dr.'s have ever mentioned it to me because I too am also very advanced with my RSD? Who knows! I see the Dr. next week and I am going to ask him about it. Where are these chambers even located, at hospitals ,certain clinics ? thanks Wendy

DianaA 04-01-2010 01:13 PM

Hbot

Quote:

Originally Posted by wswells (Post 639136)
Hi Kathy, I wonder if that is why none of my Dr.'s have ever mentioned it to me because I too am also very advanced with my RSD? Who knows! I see the Dr. next week and I am going to ask him about it. Where are these chambers even located, at hospitals ,certain clinics ? thanks Wendy

Hi Wendy,
I have full body RSD since 1989 and I have been diving (HBOT) since 2005. I now have a HBOT chamber. I am also a advanced rescue diver with a Nitrox certification...with a fairly good understanding of oxygen under pressure, the benefits and the possible negative effects. It is currently my treatment of choice, however with family issues, it has been a while and I currently need to get it in.
I will try to pm a message with my number...as I am on the way to Colorado. My father is in the hospital...critically ill. Maybe we can chat or I can get an email off on my lay overs.
Must run..leaving tomorrow.
Hugs di

keep smilin 04-01-2010 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wswells (Post 639136)

wendy..I believe they are at the hospitals..ressemble and MRI kinda tube apparatus with a little door for ventalation on the side..saw one on a show on T.V the other day..
I hope it is not too late for you also..hang in there, my friend ..don't stop trying everything...

Hugz, Kathy:hug:

bobber 04-01-2010 03:58 PM

Wendy
I recently found on line and personaly spoke witha representative about portable dives..Im not sure of the degree of benifit ,although I was told they do carry a 1.5 pressure rate, and a mini dive starts at 5,000 and they have payment plans,,I am considering this option after I do more research on [soft dives] verses solid dives,,But in my opinion, I believe alittle compressed oxygeon is better than none. They do make different sizes..But I was interested in the mini[enough to lay down in],to get the benifit,,,anyone on the board who has knowledge or expeinece with these ,please chime in,,,thank you

SandyRI 04-01-2010 05:47 PM

Check out the RSDSA.org website for research articles on HBOT. (Use the search feature).

XOXOX Sandy

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobber (Post 639206)
Wendy
I recently found on line and personaly spoke witha representative about portable dives..Im not sure of the degree of benifit ,although I was told they do carry a 1.5 pressure rate, and a mini dive starts at 5,000 and they have payment plans,,I am considering this option after I do more research on [soft dives] verses solid dives,,But in my opinion, I believe alittle compressed oxygeon is better than none. They do make different sizes..But I was interested in the mini[enough to lay down in],to get the benifit,,,anyone on the board who has knowledge or expeinece with these ,please chime in,,,thank you

finz 04-03-2010 04:49 AM

Check out this site : http://www.florida-oxygen.com/treatment.htm#5

That doc and hyperbaric site is in Florida. The hyperbaric oxygenation is 'supposed' to help the nerves regenerate so they will stop misfiring. Last I heard, it still wasn't FDA approved for RSD, so insurance companies won't cover it......maybe that's why you haven't been offered it. Like the ketamine coma.....sounds promising but not available to all of us yet.

Maybe with these fello RSD'ers trying it the regs have changed and it has been approved and I just haven't heard it yet

wswells 04-03-2010 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finz (Post 639779)
Check out this site : http://www.florida-oxygen.com/treatment.htm#5

That doc and hyperbaric site is in Florida. The hyperbaric oxygenation is 'supposed' to help the nerves regenerate so they will stop misfiring. Last I heard, it still wasn't FDA approved for RSD, so insurance companies won't cover it......maybe that's why you haven't been offered it. Like the ketamine coma.....sounds promising but not available to all of us yet.

Maybe with these fello RSD'ers trying it the regs have changed and it has been approved and I just haven't heard it yet

Hi Finz Thanks for the info. I will check out the website. I did not know that it was not approved by the FDA for RSD. There just seem to be quite a few people that are using it for there choice of treatment for pain management. I wonder if the treatment that is supposed to help your nerves regenerate so they will stop misfiring will keep you comfortable for a long period of time. I had 3 sympathectomies where they removed the sympathetic chains in 3 of my limbs, and over time the nerves came back just as bad as when they were removed, That was a very invasive procedure, the HBOT is not. I will still check with my Dr. this week. Thanks again Wendy

daniella 04-03-2010 10:00 AM

Hi. I was going to go to that Dr for HBOT. My mom did some research about the chambers and as long as it is a certain type it does not matter as much where you go. I can't recall the type of chamber but the one Dr S used was good but I found others nearby my home that did as well. No major hospitals do this for RSD or nerve conditions. So you have to go to a private clinic and it is not covered by insurance. From what I learned they usually know after a certain amount of uses if it is benefiting you.