NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Chat (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-chat/)
-   -   Free tires? Can't decide. (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-chat/44974-free-tires-cant-decide.html)

Twinkletoes 05-05-2008 12:05 AM

Free tires? Can't decide.

I bought new tires for my Ford Taurus less than 1 year ago. They started looking thin to me, even though I had only driven about 22,000 miles on them (warranteed for 60,000). The folks at Big O agreed, and said my tires had been recalled.

They said I could get 4 new tires FREE! All I had to do was pay for labor and disposal and buy a warranty.

So I have 4 brand new tires, but I had to pay $129. Is that free? :confused:

Koala77 05-05-2008 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinkletoes (Post 272848)
I bought new tires for my Ford Taurus less than 1 year ago. They started looking thin to me, even though I had only driven about 22,000 miles on them (warranteed for 60,000). The folks at Big O agreed, and said my tires had been recalled.

They said I could get 4 new tires FREE! All I had to do was pay for labor and disposal and buy a warranty.

So I have 4 brand new tires, but I had to pay $129. Is that free? :confused:

Hmmmm! That's a tricky one twink! As you've had 22,000 miles I'd say that might have been a good deal, BUT on the other hand they were guaranteed for 60,000.

Seeing they were recalled, then it wasn't your fault. You should not have to pay a cent!

Soooo! In MHO, no. They were definitely NOT free.

I think they saw you coming.............! :(

Twinkletoes 05-05-2008 12:32 AM

Awww, Koala! That's NOT what I wanted to hear!!! :confused:

DH is happy, so that's good, cuz he was gone when I decided to go for it.

On the upside, the new tires have a 65,000 mile warranty. Maybe I'll sell the car before they need replacing (had it 4 years).

Koala77 05-05-2008 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinkletoes (Post 272852)
On the upside, the new tires have a 65,000 mile warranty. Maybe I'll sell the car before they need replacing (had it 4 years).

Sorry Twink, but didn't the other ones come with a warranty too, but still left you paying through the nose? :confused:

I daresay as long as DH is happy, then that's half the battle anyway.

What's done is done Twink. I hope you get many safe miles out of the new ones. :)

Victor H 05-05-2008 01:11 AM

I agree with Koala.

My brother used to own a tire store and when tires were recalled, they were replace for free and the tire manufacturer was billed for the labor and disposal fee.

Sorry, Ro.

-Vic

Kitty 05-05-2008 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twinkletoes (Post 272848)
The folks at Big O agreed, and said my tires had been recalled.

Big O?????

Just what did this guarantee include?? :D :eek: :o

AfterMyNap 05-05-2008 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor H (Post 272864)
I agree with Koala.

My brother used to own a tire store and when tires were recalled, they were replace for free and the tire manufacturer was billed for the labor and disposal fee.

Sorry, Ro.

-Vic

Yep, sounds like your Big-O is skimming on your labor fees. Forcing you to buy a "warranty" on guaranteed merchandise is yet another highway robbery (forgive the near-pun). I'd go directly to the manufacturer and demand a reimbursement for the labor and disposal fees and see what they say. Money is money and stealing is stealing.

hollym 05-05-2008 08:59 AM

There are two separate issues here. One is warranty and one is a recall.

Under any tire warranty, the cost of warranty replacements are always prorated based on how many miles you put on them to determine how much of the cost of the new tires you pay. Obviously that doesn't enter into this when it is a recall.

On the recall, were you given a choice of getting the same tires or better ones? If you got the same tires, you should not have paid one cent in my opinion. If you upgraded to better tires, then it was probably fair.

SandyC 05-05-2008 09:54 AM

I don't think you should have paid anything. Sorry this happened Twinks. Maybe try to get the actual tire company to reimburse you for the labor like Cin said.

soxmom 05-05-2008 09:57 AM

I think you did okay....... You have nice , safe tires right now, right? Now
go to the top and demand reimbursement.

Go gettem tiger.:)