NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   The noise. Seriously. (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/91577-noise-seriously.html)

Mari 06-29-2009 11:08 AM

The noise. Seriously.

Hi,

The noise of a huge lawnmower and other landscaping machines woke me up and I couldn't go back to sleep. It seems like it has been going on for hours.

It still hasn't stopped. If the noise goes on much more, I'm going to have to take some Klonopin and get dressed and go out somewhere else.

M.

befuddled2 06-29-2009 01:17 PM

Hi Mari,

I'm sorry to hear you got woke up by outside noise. I tried my best to get a nap this morning and my phone kept ringing every 30 minutes. I did not want to ignore the phone in case Bobby was calling. I don't think he'll call me today though. I should see him in our hangout soon.

Were you able to go back to sleep?

barbara

bizi 06-29-2009 05:08 PM

I forget if you wear ear plugs?
I am sorry that you were woken up that is very frustrating.
beth

Mari 06-29-2009 06:16 PM

Hi,
I didn't get back to bed yet.
I stayed up because I had to go to the dentist in the early afternoon.

I do have ear plugs that I keep around but I don't sleep in them on a nightly basis because they start to irritate my ears after the second night.

I find extra noise annoying -- don't know why. Can't even stand to hear the birds start chirping at 4:00 in the morning when I am still up.

M.

Brokenfriend 06-30-2009 12:43 AM

Hey Mari

My cat will meow to wake me up. I reach over and put ear muffs on,that I use to use while target practicing.

When I lived in the city years ago,they would use a jackhammer every now,and then. That would drive me crazy if I was trying to sleep. I didn't think of the ear muffs till resently.

My cat will get a foot away from me on top of the sofa,and meow very loud. All I do now is put on those sound barrier ear muffs,and turn over on my side till I get comfortable on my pillow. The cat gives up soon after that,and I take the ear muffs off,or sleep with them on. BF:hug::hug::hug:

Mari 06-30-2009 01:08 AM

Dear Friend,
That is one of the main reasons I don't have pets.
I would not be able to handle disruptions to my efforts to sleep, stay stable (it's hard work).

But tell me what are "sound barrier ear muffs"?
Do they filter out noise?
Interesting.

M.

Brokenfriend 06-30-2009 02:53 AM

Hi Mari

Oh yes. Sound Barrier ear muffs are what I bought back in the 1970's to protect my ears while target practicing with a fire arm. They look like those light green headphones that you see pilots wearing on TV.

I forgot where I bought them. I probably bought them at a Pistol,and Rifle sports store.

When you put them on,you don't hear very much. They are much,much better then ear plugs. Mine are more then 30 years old,and when I put them on,I have silence,except if my left ear is ringing from the seroquel.

Off topic...My cat puts her paw in my face sometimes to wake me up...BF:hug::hug::hug:

waves 07-01-2009 04:33 PM

noise and plugs and birds

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mari (Post 530846)
I do have ear plugs that I keep around but I don't sleep in them on a nightly basis because they start to irritate my ears after the second night.

me too, and me too, and for the same reason. i have the wax kind - reusable for a while and then disposable -what kind do you have?

Quote:

I find extra noise annoying -- don't know why. Can't even stand to hear the birds start chirping at 4:00 in the morning when I am still up.
i go on and off with this. lately the birds have been getting to me too. whether i am still up or woken up or... whatever.

and... all noises in general... but try it on top of a migraine. :( i had a belting one for a couple of days. :(:mad: especially those mowers or edge-trimmers or whatever... grrrr :mad:

the other problem i have with earplugs is all my "inside" noises are magnified, and they can sometimes cause pressure on my ears too. but as far as magnified noise, i mean like chewing. or my heartbeat (i don't have high blood pressure, but can sometimes hear it esp. with plugs). and all that stuff is annoying too. do you have this problem too?

i wish there was a "mic in" jack to my brain somewhere that was like where all and any noise perception came from... and that i could UNPLUG THE DERN THING sometimes!!!! :mad:

long way of saying i sympathize, Mari.

~ waves ~

waves 07-01-2009 04:39 PM

Well... There's a Thought!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brokenfriend (Post 530972)
My cat will meow to wake me up. I reach over and put ear muffs on,that I use to use while target practicing.

wow. i hadn't thought of that either. heck, those things are made to deaden gunshots... they should cover most other noises!!! good call Friend! only i dunno if could sleep with them or travel outside with them... hmmm... but they would "cover" a lot of waking hours where otherwise i am vulnerable.

~ waves ~

Mari 07-02-2009 04:31 AM

ear plugs and inside noises

Dear Waves,

I have two kinds of ear plugs:
1. silicone that seem waxy so maybe they are wax.
2. memory foam -- on a visit to Texas my father showed me some ear plugs he was using -- they were the same kind (more or less) that he wore in the military.

The silicone ones have warnings all over the package about not putting them in the ear canal. Hello. I prefer not having something to worry about.
I read on a forum years ago when I was first buying ear plugs that the ones made out of memory foam are only good for a few nights because they retain moisture. I guess moisture might interfere with their effectiveness.
I wear the foams ones (silicone ones are put away) if I anticipate a noise problem when I am sleeping or if I am anxious about getting enough sleep -- have not tried them with the alarm to see if I could still hear alarm -- need to do that now that it is occured to me.

That's right about the inside noises. I had not thought of that.
And I would not have known what to call them if I had not read your post. Most of the time I find them disconcerting -- kind of remind me of my human body.
But I know some noises are good noises -- I can remind myself of that.

Thanks for sympathizing.

I think that many of us with bp have heightened senses (maybe not all five, but some).

=-=-=-=
Last night (Tuesday), our a/c went out and I went to bed with only the ceiling fan and with instructions left for hubby to inform apt management before he left for work that a /c needed tending to.

When I woke up much later, the a/c was working!
Good, but also UGH. I was sleeping with the bedroom door open to the hallway while the repair men worked on the a/c in the hallway.

I did not even know that they were there.

Good news: A/C works fine.

M.