NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Spinal Disorders & Back Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/)
-   -   Hello and need help regarding recent MRI findings (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/214749-hello-help-regarding-recent-mri-findings.html)

Mcampbell 01-13-2015 04:12 PM

Hello and need help regarding recent MRI findings

Hello and thank you for allowing me to join. I am a 52 yr old female that is having trouble understanding my recent MRI results. I am hoping there is someone here that can explain it in lay men's terms to help me understand it better.
First of all, I am Type 2 diabetic that is being successfully controlled with medication and diet. Last year I developed a severe case of shingles which in my doctors words was the worse case she had seen in her 30 years of practice. I have dele oped severe nerve damage as a results. The shingles were located from the middle of my back which then encircled around my left side to the middle of my stomach. I was nothing but a solid rash ring in this area. I had to refrain from where anything that fir the slightest bit tight under the rash healed. The deep scars serve as a reminder on just how bad it was. Since the shingles, I have quickly developed severe lower back pain near the scars which radiated down my left thigh. I am unable to walk, stand, or even sit for more than 5 or 6 minutes at a time without the numbness and weakness taking over. My physican ordered an lower and cervical back MRI for a better look. I have received the results from the cervical and they are as follows. C5/6 There is severe degeneration of the disc with near complete loss of disc space height. There is a large right para central disc osteophyte complex compressing the right aspect of the cord and the right C6 nerve root. There is severe right neural foraminal stenosis. No left neural foraminal stenosis. The facet and uncovertebal joints are mildly degenerated. IMPRESSION. There is severe degeneration of the C5/6 disc with a large right paracentral disc osteophyte complex compressing the right aspect of the cord and the right C6 nerve root.
I have recently developed right arm pain that begins at my shoulder and radiates down my right arm with trigger finger syndrome in my right thumb and right index finger.
Please help me understand what this means. Is this something serious that will require surgery. I have yet to return to work due to the pain and my LTD carrier is now requiring me to file for social security disability due to not being able to be released for duty at my 8 hour a day desk job. Any insight is very much appreciated as this is too confusing and the techs explain agin wasn't very helpful. Sorry for the long post.

Jomar 01-13-2015 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mcampbell (Post 1118158)
Hello and thank you for allowing me to join. I am a 52 yr old female that is having trouble understanding my recent MRI results. I am hoping there is someone here that can explain it in lay men's terms to help me understand it better.
First of all, I am Type 2 diabetic that is being successfully controlled with medication and diet. Last year I developed a severe case of shingles which in my doctors words was the worse case she had seen in her 30 years of practice.

I have dele oped severe nerve damage as a results. The shingles were located from the middle of my back which then encircled around my left side to the middle of my stomach. I was nothing but a solid rash ring in this area. I had to refrain from where anything that fir the slightest bit tight under the rash healed. The deep scars serve as a reminder on just how bad it was. Since the shingles, I have quickly developed severe lower back pain near the scars which radiated down my left thigh. I am unable to walk, stand, or even sit for more than 5 or 6 minutes at a time without the numbness and weakness taking over. My physican ordered an lower and cervical back MRI for a better look. I have received the results from the cervical and they are as follows.

C5/6 There is severe degeneration of the disc with near complete loss of disc space height. There is a large right para central disc osteophyte complex compressing the right aspect of the cord and the right C6 nerve root. There is severe right neural foraminal stenosis. No left neural foraminal stenosis. The facet and uncovertebal joints are mildly degenerated. IMPRESSION. There is severe degeneration of the C5/6 disc with a large right paracentral disc osteophyte complex compressing the right aspect of the cord and the right C6 nerve root.
I have recently developed right arm pain that begins at my shoulder and radiates down my right arm with trigger finger syndrome in my right thumb and right index finger.

Please help me understand what this means. Is this something serious that will require surgery. I have yet to return to work due to the pain and my LTD carrier is now requiring me to file for social security disability due to not being able to be released for duty at my 8 hour a day desk job. Any insight is very much appreciated as this is too confusing and the techs explain agin wasn't very helpful. Sorry for the long post.

Did anything show for the Lumbar? this only shows c spine...

but basically C spine affects upper body mostly- like your arm... and the nerve is being compromised..

Jomar 01-13-2015 04:56 PM

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/pi...pictureid=5102

Mcampbell 01-13-2015 06:05 PM

Thanks so much for the reply. I'm sorry I thought I had included it too lumbar shows pretty much mild degeneration with the exception of L5/S1 which says there is severe degeneration of the disc with near complete loss of disc space height. There is circumferential bulging of the disc causing mild bilateral neural foraminal stenosis without nerve compression. No focal disc hernia ton or central canal stenosis. The facet joints are mildly degenerated. IMPRESSION. there is multilevel disc degeneration and bulging which is severe at the L5/S1 level without focal disc hernias ion, significant spinal stenosis or nerve root compression. No local root compression to explain left lower e termite pain.

I hope this explains it ok and I do appreciate your help.

Mcampbell 01-15-2015 02:09 AM

Please, can anyone help me with this. Thanks.

Mcampbell 01-19-2015 07:43 PM

:Scratch-Head::Scratch-Head::confused::confused::confused::confused::conf used::confused::confused::confused::confused::)

Lara 01-19-2015 08:09 PM

I'm sorry you're confused.

I am not sure what to suggest to help here. I'm sorry you had shingles so badly. I had it but very mildly in comparison to what you describe.

Quote:

IMPRESSION. there is multilevel disc degeneration and bulging which is severe at the L5/S1 level without focal disc hernias ion, significant spinal stenosis or nerve root compression. No local root compression to explain left lower e termite pain.
Did it say extremity pain.

Is the pain you feel like nerve pain? Do you have neuropathy?

http://www.neuropathy.org/site/News2?id=8200
The Link Between Neuropathy and Shingles
By Russell Chin, MD

Kitt 01-19-2015 08:57 PM

Welcome Mcampbell. :Wave-Hello:

Mcampbell 01-20-2015 08:04 PM

Thank u so much for your response. Yes it feels like nerve pain that just keeps jabbing me like it did with the shingles. My doctor has diagnosed me with the Postherpetic neuralgia as a result of my shingles and mild neuropathy with my diabetes. I am running into trouble with my case as my LTD carrier has required me to file for SSDI due to my conditions. I am just now starting the 2nd appeal and from the conclusion of my redetermination appeal they think I am not disabled and I am able to sit and/or stand without any problems. This conclusion came to them after a 5 minute exam that was useless in my opinion as it didn't even begin to address my back issues. Never once was I emamined or even asked about my continued nerve pain from the shingles on any part of my body including my back. My question now come from the results of the MRI'S. Do they indicate anything at all that explains my extreme pain in my back and neck. TIA.

Mcampbell 01-20-2015 08:05 PM

Thank you for the welcome. :)