NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   Houston/Dallas Area Flooding (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/220739-houston-dallas-flooding.html)

Kitty 05-26-2015 06:12 AM

Houston/Dallas Area Flooding

There are quite a few members that live in this area. I know Barb just moved to Houston. Ya'll please check in when you can. I was just watching the news coverage and it was scary! :eek:

TXBatman 05-26-2015 04:28 PM

I am fine! We were actually out in Central Texas all weekend about 30 miles south of Wimberly where the worst of the flooding was out there. We were kind of boxed in by flooding on roads all around us for a day or so, but didn't really have anywhere we needed to be other than out at the ranch, so it wasn't a big deal.

We drove home to Houston yesterday afternoon and managed to roll all the way over just ahead of the big line of storms. We got home and had about an hour of decent weather, then everything went to hades. We ended up with about 4.5 inches of rain between about 9pm and 1am, had tons of lightning around and the power went out twice. There were tornado warnings, severe storms warnings, and flash flood warnings coming in just about non-stop for a few hours. But we aren't really in a flood prone area, so we had no problems at the house either.

I waited until later to come into work this morning, and there were still flooded out cars in the middle of some of the streets right by my office. The area around my office got over 10 inches of rain in about 4-5 hours and apparently the water was pretty deep on the roads. I am one of three people who made it to the office today, and I am not looking forward to the drive home. It was way worse just east of my office down towards downtown, but at least for now, it sounds like there were relatively few deaths. Lots of flooded cars and houses though and we will be dealing with swarms of mosquitos for weeks to come.

We have a 30-40% chance of rain every day for the rest of the week. Hopefully nothing as bad as we had last night, but it won't take much rain to make the situation go south again if we get a storm moving slowly this week.

SallyC 05-26-2015 11:29 PM

Glad to hear you're okie dokie TX. Hope it stays that way.
Anyone hear from Barb? We don't have to worry about Tom..
He and his wife moved from Huston when he retired from NASA.

We had a fast rip roaring ground twister here today. Too close
for comfort. About 5 miles from my back yard. no deaths and
just a few minor injuries. it sure did do a lot of property damage,
tossing cars across the parking lots and roofs and such.:eek:

Scary stuff. Stay safe please..:grouphug:

Kitty 05-27-2015 06:25 AM

It seems like the weather is getting more and more extreme and violent.

Not sure if it's because the media pushes such dramatic coverage or what. :confused: They sure do get excited when a thunderstorm is forecast. :rolleyes:

Our weather here in GA has calmed down quite a bit and there is only a 40% chance of storms here today.

I do wish Barb would check in. I'm wondering if she even has electricity at this point?

SallyC 05-27-2015 11:27 AM

Hey, our little Hamlet's, Beavercreek, tornado, made the Today Show this morning.:cool:

barb02 05-27-2015 11:52 AM

Hi, I live just south of Austin, Texas. I am fine. The worst flooding around here did occur in my county (Hayes), but it is a large county. I live in Buda and the flooding was near San Marcos - about 30 miles from here. I live near the interstate that was closed for several hours due to flooding. It was crazy watching the news on Monday. There were about 12 tornado warnings in the area and then the flooding. Seeing several feet of rain in the streets of Austin and watching the rescues was somewhat surreal. Several of the tornadoes did touch down but they were not too strong.

It is so sad what happened in Wimberly. They did not have any warning at all.

I do not live near any creeks, rivers, or lakes. We just had heavy rain again this morning for about an hour or so. Rain is in the forecast here for the entire week too. :(

Sparky10 05-28-2015 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SallyC (Post 1144663)
Hey, our little Hamlet's, Beavercreek, tornado, made the Today Show this morning.:cool:

Just watched that video, Sally. Can you imagine...those cars driving around not knowing what's happening one block over. Yes, a bit too close for comfort.

Barb, glad you, Sally, and TXBatman are okay!

Tom's house had a creek in the back yard; good he's not there! Wonder if he'll be changing his name to Freeinfairfieldglen. doesn't exactly roll gently off the tongue, does it?