NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Spinal Disorders & Back Pain (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/)
-   -   ACDF - 8 Months Post Surgery - Question for those who've been here (https://www.neurotalk.org/spinal-disorders-and-back-pain/197874-acdf-8-months-post-surgery-question-whove.html)

3stepbend 11-29-2013 12:51 PM

ACDF - 8 Months Post Surgery - Question for those who've been here

Hi, I had a two level ACDF surgery last March - I'm feeling pretty good now at almost 8 months out, but having one remaining issue that I can't seem to resolve.

I have a pinchy sort of pain in my upper traps on both sides of my neck. It won't go away. I'm wondering if it's just spasm or something. I started light weight lifting again, haven't started running yet and may not (will do something else), but I'm wondering what I should do to alleviate some of this pinchy/spasm pain?

Any suggestions for exercises - something for my neck/upper traps. The only real restriction the doctor gave me was to not lift heavy weights above my head. He said I could bench press, but to ease into it.

All I'm doing is bench ( super light, only 90lbs now after two months), tricep work with dumbells, light dead lifts, and some upright rows, again very light.

I'm thinking I need to rehab my traps in some way...?

Any ideas?

Jomar 11-29-2013 01:04 PM

I would stop the weights until you figure it out.
Could be some trigger points & spasms that need to be resolved.

Spasms & trigger points often go hand in hand, and until the trigger points are resolved stretching or exercising will not be helpful.

Triggerpoint info-
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread125577.html

3stepbend 11-29-2013 01:49 PM

Thanks for that information, I never heard of Triggerpoints before. I notice my posture has a lot to do with it too...keep working on that.

I can lay off the weights except for my triceps - especially my right side, it took a big hit from the herniated disc and is probably only 60-70% of where it was before the injury. It's a lot better than it was last February tho!

3stepbend 12-07-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3stepbend (Post 1032974)
Thanks for that information, I never heard of Triggerpoints before. I notice my posture has a lot to do with it too...keep working on that.

I can lay off the weights except for my triceps - especially my right side, it took a big hit from the herniated disc and is probably only 60-70% of where it was before the injury. It's a lot better than it was last February tho!

So I can't find anyone in North Jersey that does anything with triggerpoints. Should I be going to a pain management center or for a massage or somewhere else?

Thanks

CatsPajamas86 01-11-2014 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3stepbend (Post 1035080)
So I can't find anyone in North Jersey that does anything with triggerpoints. Should I be going to a pain management center or for a massage or somewhere else?

Thanks

Yes I would go see a massage therapist or physical therapist. They both deal with trigger points

Dr. Smith 01-11-2014 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3stepbend (Post 1035080)
So I can't find anyone in North Jersey that does anything with triggerpoints.

There's at least one Certified Myofascial Trigger Point Therapist (I wouldn't go to a non-certified practitioner) in Verona, NJ.

Therapist Directory

certified myofascial trigger point therapist

Doc

Dubious 01-12-2014 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Smith (Post 1042971)
There's at least one Certified Myofascial Trigger Point Therapist (I wouldn't go to a non-certified practitioner) in Verona, NJ.

Therapist Directory

certified myofascial trigger point therapist

Doc

I recall attending a seminar with Janet Travell, MD (the "founder" if you will of TP's who wrote the book on them) back in the day, and was John F. Kennedy's personal treating physician as I recall. I do not know if the practitioners who are recommended in prior postings mention this or not but Dr. Travell's protocol included injecting TP's with saline or steroids, in addition to manual techniques. So if you desired comprehensive TP evaluation and treatment, you would need to see an MD for complete assessment and care, probably either a physiatrist or at least a progressive orthopedist.