NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   PN Tips, Resources, Supplements & Other Treatments (https://www.neurotalk.org/pn-tips-resources-supplements-and-other-treatments/)
-   -   When is the right time to take Probiotics (https://www.neurotalk.org/pn-tips-resources-supplements-and-other-treatments/191289-time-probiotics.html)

Idiopathic PN 07-11-2013 03:51 PM

When is the right time to take Probiotics

I have been taking probiotics -- Jarrow Formula (as this is the brand which is recommended by National Jewish Hospital). Im getting conflicting statements on when to take the probiotics. My doctor said to take it on an empty stomach. The local pharmacy said that it should be with food. I want to get the optimum benefits of the supplement.

I hope that somebody taking the same supplement can give me some inputs on when is the right way of taking it.

Thank you.

Mary

mrsD 07-11-2013 04:06 PM

I think if you are taking antibiotics, you need to space the probiotics away from that. The drugs may kill the probiotics, but later, they may slip past, and do their job.

en bloc 07-11-2013 04:44 PM

My GI has told me that taking probiotics while taking antibiotics is pointless...the antibiotics will kill the probiotics. He recommends taking them AFTER the course of antibiotics is finished. I know in your case, you have been on them a long time (and have more to go) so don't have a good answer for you. But I really think you're spinning your wheels.

Idiopathic PN 07-11-2013 05:09 PM

Mrs.D,
I have been taking the probiotics just one hour after taking the antiobitics. Silly me! Should I take it with food or without food?
I should have posted my question a long time ago....(what am I thinking?)

en bloc,

You are right, it will still be a long way to go for me taking the antibiotics. I am taking the probiotics while I am on medications hoping that some of the probiotics will "slip past" (as Mrs.d puts it) the antibiotics.

Thank you both.

P.s. this is a typical conflicting positions of doctors on similar circumstance. My GI doctor recommends taking the probiotic while taking the antibiotics while yours thinks otherwise....how I wish that doctors would have a standard protocol on routine treatment like this. It is quite confusing for the patients.:confused:

en bloc 07-11-2013 07:33 PM

Well, it's certainly not going to hurt you to take them. If some gets through, great. Worth trying.

I would split them as far apart as possible. After all, if the antibiotics are doing what they are designed to do, then it will kill them. So taking them close together would increase that, IMO.

I always tolerate them better with food. I've never been told whether one way or the other makes a difference.