NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/)
-   -   6 Month Post-Op Update (https://www.neurotalk.org/thoracic-outlet-syndrome/205185-6-month-post-op-update.html)

20YrsTOS 06-02-2014 02:20 PM

6 Month Post-Op Update

Hello Everyone. I hope and pray all is well with you all.

It's been a while since I've written anything, but I've been doing my PT. Thought I would give you guys a quick update, and leave some questions hoping someone can answer them.

First, many of you know I had a rib resection and scalenectomy on my left arm in Dec of last year. Had two previous surgeries on right arm, which was not successful. I've been dealing with TOS for 21 yrs.

Okay, as stated above I've been doing PT. Well PT was NOT successful. I can't only lift my left arm only halfway. The arm will not lift up or go over my head. My PT thinks the arm is in a frozen state. They call it, "Frozen Shoulder". Also, when the PT was doing all the procedures on my left arm, he notice while performing the strength test for both arms, my right arm strength is down to 5. Basically this means my strength is almost gone in the right arm. I still have swelling in both arms and chest areas. Especially around the incisions. The pain decreased just a little, but still painful. I still can't sleep. Only 3 hours of sleep. The PT notice I was not getting better and we decided to stop all treatments. By the way, he told me about this TEN machine, so I purchase one. Your insurance should cover this. I also was informed by this sales guy at my doctor's office about a machine called, Flexitouch. It suppose to help with the swelling, but it did not help, so I return it. The ten machine gives me a little relief. It's a stimulation machine.

I'm seeing an Orthopedic doctor next week regarding this shoulder issue, and I will see my doctor in about three weeks. My doctor and I have a lot to discuss. :0)

Can someone answer this question?

1) Have any of you experience a frozen shoulder after your surgery? If so, what did u do to get your arm to move again.

Sorry for the long post, and I will keep you all updated. My doctor did inform it could take a 1 1/2 before I get better. So I'm being patient with the process. You all be bless, and we need to continue to fight this TOS.

Thanks

kellysf 06-02-2014 05:48 PM

I'm sorry you didn't have much luck with PT. I had the same experience of having PT hurt rather than help. I hope the next 12 months go better for you.

Take care,
Kelly

Eight 06-02-2014 10:21 PM

I haven't had rib resection or frozen shoulder. I have a TENS and I love it though. Glad it is providing you some relief.

romans8 06-10-2014 06:19 PM

I had a frozen shoulder going into my surgery. However the frozen shoulder was on the left side and the surgery on the right. The PT "unthawed" it by moving it to it's limits and it went away over two to three months. It was painful but similar to PT after a shoulder surgery. It seems it would be tricky on your surgery side but that is the only way to improve it.

20YrsTOS 06-12-2014 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by romans8 (Post 1074951)
I had a frozen shoulder going into my surgery. However the frozen shoulder was on the left side and the surgery on the right. The PT "unthawed" it by moving it to it's limits and it went away over two to three months. It was painful but similar to PT after a shoulder surgery. It seems it would be tricky on your surgery side but that is the only way to improve it.

Thanks Roman for the info. The PT I was seeing was stretching the arm as far it could go, but no success. Going to see my surgeon in two weeks, I'm hoping he has another plan. Will keep you all updated.

sec161 06-16-2014 09:31 PM

Dr. Gelabert (UCLA Vascular Surgeon) has brought this up before as a concern after rib resection or scalenectomy if you aren't moving your shoulder joint enough post-op. My fiancé had bicep reattachment and during recovery suffered Frozen Shoulder - it was awful! Through PT and chiropractics (we have a no-cracking chiro here) he was able to get close to his previous ROM. I wish you lots of luck, it is not an easy recovery but it is possible.

20YrsTOS 06-16-2014 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sec161 (Post 1076155)
Dr. Gelabert (UCLA Vascular Surgeon) has brought this up before as a concern after rib resection or scalenectomy if you aren't moving your shoulder joint enough post-op. My fiancé had bicep reattachment and during recovery suffered Frozen Shoulder - it was awful! Through PT and chiropractics (we have a no-cracking chiro here) he was able to get close to his previous ROM. I wish you lots of luck, it is not an easy recovery but it is possible.

Thanks for the info. I've been reading a lot about frozen shoulders, and it's not an easy process. I'm not in a hurry, so if it's a year or so, I'm willing to wait to get better. :0)

GOD BLESS!!!

brisco71 06-17-2014 04:03 PM

I ended up with both a winged scapula and a frozen shoulder as a result of my rib resection. I'm nearly 5 months out. I did PT for about 2 months, and got some improvement, but I still have a long way to go. I had to put PT on hold because it was just too painful and I could no longer tolerate pain meds. I'm hopeful that it will eventually get better.

20YrsTOS 06-17-2014 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brisco71 (Post 1076316)
I ended up with both a winged scapula and a frozen shoulder as a result of my rib resection. I'm nearly 5 months out. I did PT for about 2 months, and got some improvement, but I still have a long way to go. I had to put PT on hold because it was just too painful and I could no longer tolerate pain meds. I'm hopeful that it will eventually get better.

Thanks for the info, and I hope things will improve for u. I've read that it takes almost a year and half to recovery from a frozen shoulder. I know how you are feeling, but hang in there. My surgeon informed me it's going to take almost a year and half to see improvement. So take it one day at a time, and don't over do it. Thanks for the reply.

brisco71 06-18-2014 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 20YrsTOS (Post 1076405)
Thanks for the info, and I hope things will improve for u. I've read that it takes almost a year and half to recovery from a frozen shoulder. I know how you are feeling, but hang in there. My surgeon informed me it's going to take almost a year and half to see improvement. So take it one day at a time, and don't over do it. Thanks for the reply.

Yes, that's all we can do, wait it out. I am used to a "new normal" at this point. I know my limits, even my 6yo knows not to ask me to push him on the swing.LOL