NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Dentistry & Dental Issues (https://www.neurotalk.org/dentistry-and-dental-issues/)
-   -   Wisdom tooth (https://www.neurotalk.org/dentistry-and-dental-issues/161434-wisdom-tooth.html)

SummerFun72 11-30-2011 01:59 PM

Wisdom tooth

What are the symptoms of a jaw infection after a tooth extraction? Could this happen 5 weeks after wisdom tooth extraction by dentist?

Bryanna 11-30-2011 08:07 PM

Hi Summer,

The symptoms of a jawbone infection are one or all of the following....swelling, pain, tenderness in the jaw and/or lymph glands in the neck, fever, malaise, upset stomach/nausea, headache, pain in the ear or face..........

Yes, it is possible to develop a jawbone infection several weeks after a tooth extraction. The actual infection starts either before or sometime right after the procedure but may not show obvious symptoms until later on.

What symptoms are you experiencing? Did you have a dry socket after the infection?

Bryanna

Quote:

Originally Posted by SummerFun72 (Post 828743)
What are the symptoms of a jaw infection after a tooth extraction? Could this happen 5 weeks after wisdom tooth extraction by dentist?

SummerFun72 12-04-2011 05:45 PM

I am having pain in my lower teeth. It is more of a discomfort, I suppose. It is not constant but it does bother me from time to time. I cannot find anywhere what the for sure signs of a jaw infection would be. How is a person suppose to know? Ex-rays? My extraction was on the upper and that seems ok.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryanna (Post 828852)
Hi Summer,

The symptoms of a jawbone infection are one or all of the following....swelling, pain, tenderness in the jaw and/or lymph glands in the neck, fever, malaise, upset stomach/nausea, headache, pain in the ear or face..........

Yes, it is possible to develop a jawbone infection several weeks after a tooth extraction. The actual infection starts either before or sometime right after the procedure but may not show obvious symptoms until later on.

What symptoms are you experiencing? Did you have a dry socket after the infection?

Bryanna

SummerFun72 12-04-2011 05:47 PM

No, No dry socket but there was only minimal bleeding after extraction and I read that is bad????

Bryanna[/QUOTE]

SummerFun72 12-09-2011 09:38 AM

Can anyone help? Bryanna? I have soreness at extraction site after I brush with mint toothpaste. It usually goes away after an hour or so but can this toothpaste really still be causing soreness at that site? When will this site heal? It seems as though it is taking forever even though dentist said looks fine but didnt do an x-ray. Should they be doing x-rays as follow ups?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SummerFun72 (Post 829875)
No, No dry socket but there was only minimal bleeding after extraction and I read that is bad????

Bryanna

[/QUOTE]

Bryanna 12-09-2011 01:27 PM

Hi Summerfun,

Stop using mint tootpaste and try an herbal one that has no mint. Also the herbal pastes usually have no sodium lauryl sulfate which is an irritant to the oral tissue.

If that is the only time that you have soreness at the extraction site then see what happens when you use a different toothpaste.

Is the extraction site almost closed over? Do you notice a sore like a canker sore near there? This type of sore, unrelated to the extracted tooth, could become more sore when in contact with mint.

Bryanna

Quote:

Originally Posted by SummerFun72 (Post 831038)
Can anyone help? Bryanna? I have soreness at extraction site after I brush with mint toothpaste. It usually goes away after an hour or so but can this toothpaste really still be causing soreness at that site? When will this site heal? It seems as though it is taking forever even though dentist said looks fine but didnt do an x-ray. Should they be doing x-rays as follow ups?

[/QUOTE]