NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Computers and Technology (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/)
-   -   Help me pick an all-in-one printer (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/90332-help-pick-printer.html)

JustWeave 06-21-2009 01:30 PM

Help me pick an all-in-one printer

I give up. The printer we have hasn't work in over a year. Hackers have taken the programs of the PCs and the CD-ROM is too damaged to work right. I've wanted a does more machine for a while and it looks like it is time to make a change.

So I have two questions to start...

1. Can I have everything on (print, scan, copy) except the fax part? I'd like for that to be off until someone wants to use it. Also is there a way to greatly reduce or avoid junk faxes?

2. What do I look for to make sure the new all-in-one will work with the "old" computers?

Thanks!

ewizabeth 06-21-2009 02:23 PM

We have a Xerox Phaser black and white laser that scans, copies and prints. It faxes too but we don't use it for that, just the other.

It works great. We've had problems in the past with HP, Canon and Epson printers. This is the best one yet and we use it at the office so it gets a workout. They cost a bit more but they're worth it IMO.

Peter B 06-22-2009 01:49 AM

After having Epsons for years I now have a Canon, and love it. So quiet and fast.
Mind you, this is a printer only, as I have dedicated Canon scanner which I bought to scan slides and film.
The multipurpose units may be abit of a compromise, and not really good at anything, unless you pay big bucks.
To find out about compatibility, you'd need to contact the service section. Don't bother with the packaging, or sales staff!

mrsD 06-23-2009 07:18 AM

We have an HP all in one. My husband has to fax.
I have to scan, we both have to print.

My only complaint is that it is noisy.
Cost 120 dollars at SAM's club. J5750. Inkjet.
Print quality is nice. But I don't do photos on it.
I like that it is fairly small and doesn't take up alot of space.

JustWeave 06-23-2009 07:31 PM

Thanks for the input everyone.

Jomar 06-24-2009 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustWeave (Post 526311)

So I have two questions to start...

1. Can I have everything on (print, scan, copy) except the fax part? I'd like for that to be off until someone wants to use it. Also is there a way to greatly reduce or avoid junk faxes?

2. What do I look for to make sure the new all-in-one will work with the "old" computers?

Thanks!

1. Only plug in the phone line when you want to send, or when you are expecting a fax ????.
This works great for personal use , but if you have a business and get many faxes it wouldn't be an option...

I have a Panasonic all in one , but back & white only - laser printer.
I just get it out and plug in in when i need to send or receive a fax, make a copy of something, or print out b&w and not use my color ink jet.

2. Look at the system requirements on the box for the compatibility info -

If you have xp or vista, compatibility should not be a problem at all.
or if a Mac look for Mac software, or even a Linux OS should be compatible
unless your computer is very very old :)

JustWeave 06-24-2009 09:36 AM

Well you can tell I don't know diddly about fax machines. Of course you can avoid junk faxes if you don't plug in the phone line. (Business faxes may be a part of life later but not now.)

The current PCs are WindowsXP but I think I see a laptop in my future and that will probably have Vista. I'll be looking for an all- in- one that can be used with both.