NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   set back? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/183629-set.html)

Peter11 02-06-2013 10:13 PM

set back?

Hi All,

Some bad news. On my way to work this morning I was rear ended :( Just when I thought I was getting better. Now dont get me wrong the accident was very minor. I just pray I didnt suffer whiplash. My neck is a little sore today, but not anymore than it is normally. Im also hoping my anxiety doesnt crop up again as I am anxiuos that this will set back my recovery :( I have been getting better lately and want to push past this little episode and forget it happened so i can concerntrate on my revovery again.

Thoughts?

Soccergal 02-06-2013 10:33 PM

If it were me, I would treat myself as if it was a concussion and take a few days of full cognitive rest. Just to be safe. I wish I had understood what that kind of rest meant 3+ years ago.

Best of luck to you - here's hoping that it has had no effect on your recovery.

SpaceCadet 02-06-2013 11:25 PM

That guy on your mood picture better knock it off before he gets a concussion.

I'm just sayin...

Anyways, I agree with Soccergal. There is no sure-fire way to tell if you've sustained another concussion or sub-concussive impact. If you feel that your symptoms have increased, it could just be that you're shook up emotionally from the incident.

Just take it easy, pal.

Nick

Peter11 02-06-2013 11:33 PM

:eek:
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceCadet (Post 954943)
That guy on your mood picture better knock it off before he gets a concussion.

I'm just sayin...

Anyways, I agree with Soccergal. There is no sure-fire way to tell if you've sustained another concussion or sub-concussive impact. If you feel that your symptoms have increased, it could just be that you're shook up emotionally from the incident.

Just take it easy, pal.

Nick

Ive changed him for ya!

Cheers Space... I am hoping, and thinking that im just a little shaken up emotionally from it, and that my recovery can resume :)

Thanks for the support.

How are your symptoms?

MsRriO 02-06-2013 11:47 PM

Woah. That is not good news. Rest rest rest... And take it day by day. Acceptance is our number one struggle sometimes. Thinking of you!

cyclecrash 02-07-2013 10:46 AM

I'm so sorry for your bad luck and I hope you are not having any setbacks today. It's great to hear that you're doing so well and I hope it continues for you!

CC

Peter11 02-07-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyclecrash (Post 955047)
I'm so sorry for your bad luck and I hope you are not having any setbacks today. It's great to hear that you're doing so well and I hope it continues for you!

CC

Thanks Cycle crash! These forums mean alot to me and my recovery! I know its such bad luck but I need to push through and take it as just that 'bad luck' I woke up this morning with a stiff neck..this may be attributed to the accident or the fact that I was stressing last night and probably over massaging my neck haha! Either way I need to get into my recovery mind frame again (I was thrown out a little yesterday but think Im back on track).

Its good to hear your on the mend aswell. Heres to beating this horrible syndrome!

swiftfoot55 02-07-2013 08:10 PM

Peter,

Given that you said the crash was of minimal impact, I think it is probably safe to say that you didn't suffer any lasting damage. I totally understand your fear of minor impacts turning into major events, trust me. I do the same thing.

For what it's worth, how fast was the car behind you going? Roughly? If it was just a small little fender bender and you had your seatbelt on and such, I really highly doubt anything happened.

Let us know how it goes.

Peter11 02-07-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swiftfoot55 (Post 955209)
Peter,

Given that you said the crash was of minimal impact, I think it is probably safe to say that you didn't suffer any lasting damage. I totally understand your fear of minor impacts turning into major events, trust me. I do the same thing.

For what it's worth, how fast was the car behind you going? Roughly? If it was just a small little fender bender and you had your seatbelt on and such, I really highly doubt anything happened.

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks swift foot. I was stationary, the guy who hit me was acutally hit by another car behind him. So a car bumped into a car who bumped into me. haha. the first car was probably doing 5 miles, the guy who hit me was stationary. had my belt on etc etc.. Yea I think it was probably just stress and emotional overstimulation to be honest but like alot of us the anxiety crops up!

Im not feeling too bad today, just a stiff neck like I said so Im hoping I can get back on the recovery path as I was doing so well.

How are you feeling swift?

Mokey 02-08-2013 01:19 AM

Sorry to hear that! It must have been quite a shock. Hope you feel better soon!