NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   exercise induced hypertension (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/235450-exercise-induced-hypertension.html)

Mommai 05-02-2016 10:30 AM

exercise induced hypertension

I have autoimmune sfn, EDS, MCTD (Raynaud's, borderline Sjorgens).

Anyway, I have had controlled hbp for years and have recently tried to bike ride. I don't really exercise because just doing simple chores tires me out if I don't pace myself.
I rode for about a mile and during that time, my heart rate started increasing, I became out of breath, and lightheaded.

When I got home, and relaxed about 5 min, my heart rate was about 145, and about 10 min later, my bp was 153 over 99.

I know that since I haven't exercised in a while, that I had to take it easy, that is why I rode a bike, not fast but up a couple of slight inclines.

My question is this, can neuropathy affect bp and heart rate hypertensively or is it just hypotensively? (new words? :) ) I was checked about 10 years ago for POTS because of resting tachycardia, but I passed the tilt table test.

I thought I read somewhere a while ago that autonomic neuropathy can cause hypertension but I can not find the article anywhere- maybe I was mistaken.

Thank-you! :) Karen

madisongrrl 05-02-2016 01:00 PM

I think it's difficult to determine.

Once an individual is trained in any given sport or exercise, the heart rate will recover more quickly after that effort. People who are de-trained can have elevated heart rates. Athletes sometimes get elevated heart rates when they are over trained.

Do you know what your resting heart is? How long were you on the bike? What was your max heart rate on your ride?

Your heart rate might have been elevated due to de-training, but this is something to definitely track and keep an eye on because it could be medically related as well. I'm an ex-competitive cyclist, so this is sort of in my wheelhouse.:)

Mommai 05-02-2016 01:22 PM

Thanks, MadisonGrrl,

From what you wrote, it is probably because I am de-trained (I am housebroken, though).

I am 48 and waaay out of shape. :) Resting hr is about 70., rode about a mile, I don't know what my max hr was. I can't do two things at once; check hr and ride a bike, chew gum and walk without hitting anything, etc.

caroline2 05-02-2016 05:11 PM

Sounds like you overdid it since you say you are waaay out of shape. I exercised all my life into my 60's and had to stop due to arthritic issues. I do ride a recumbent bike in my living room and use it s l o w l y to keep my knees moving and to just get a little cardio work in. Pace yourself, go slower. But go if you can.

Mommai 05-02-2016 09:54 PM

Thank you! :)
Both of you are inspiring!