NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   Need some ideas, for interm (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/250206-ideas-interm.html)

Dmom3005 12-01-2017 01:08 PM

Need some ideas, for interm

Hello everyone,
I believe I have mentioned that Dan is bi-polar. It is also turning out that he has PDSD also. He is fixating on some issues and making things worse all over. Or could that really be OCD instead, not sure. Its something like thinking or seeing a blue jeep following him to work for years. So much so that he quit job, but honestly because of amount of lead in his system he needed too. He went on SSDI, and is doing that pretty well

My question is he is running out of his prescribed meds. He lost his insurance, and has just applied to try and get it back. But there will be at least a month delay I'm guessing. He is paying for his therapist, which is court ordered, for other issues.

But I used to buy St. John Worts and samE when he didn't have meds before. They worked to a pretty good extent. But the problem is he
thinks its candy and takes to much at times. SO when I get him more
Kortni, his lady will not leave it out. She will put it up and give it to him when needed once a day or what ever.

So does anyone know if there is another over counter drug that would work better. This is just till the time he can get meds back.

Patient assistance takes a while too. I've looked for that too.

Donna :hug::grouphug:

mymorgy 12-01-2017 04:57 PM

samE is supposed to be good and i think you need a prescription in germany.']
how about valerian or the tea?kava kava?

Mari 12-01-2017 10:23 PM

1. If S-Adenosylmethionine (SAM-e) has worked for him in the past, it can probably help him again. Be care not to take too much.

2. I thought that St. John's Wort did not work, but I can believe that it
can help some people perhaps.

3. Omega-3 fatty acids /Fish oil helps some people with depression.

4. Rhodiola rosea -- mild stimulant -- could help with depression for some people.

5. Does he get enough Vitamin D -- that can help with depression if he has low numbers and he probably does if it does not get much sun this time of year.

-->One of the best things he can do is stay away from carbs and sweets, -- Eat more meat and vegetables and only a little bit of grains/bread.

-->Omega 3 foods like Salmon, Tuna, Sardines if he likes them.

Absolutely stay away from alcohol. It is a depressant.

Other foods that help some people
Quote:

• Green Tea (has a long list of benefits in general; green tea can be a blog on it’s own)
• Pro-biotic Yogurt (Plain yogurt without the sugar -- can be used in recipes)
• Blueberries
• Raspberries
• Strawberries
• Flax Seed
• Flax Oil
• Oatmeal
• Spinach (fresh or frozen)
• Salmon
• Chicken
• Bananas (increases serotonin)
• Chocolate – Dark, (increases serotonin) 70% or more Coco (avoid Milk-chocolate)
• Nuts (in particular, Almonds and Walnuts)
He needs to get exercise and get enough sleep at night -- stay on a regular schedule for both.

Good luck to him.

M

OhKay 12-02-2017 11:26 AM

I wouldn't recommend he take anything OTC. It seems like his MH issues are serious, and he needs to be on Rx meds...

GoodRX.com has very low prices on some prescription meds. He may be able to afford at least some of what he should be taking using coupons (maybe for the same price as some of these vitamins).

I was stuck in a really bad spot and needed those coupons to pay for my meds, and they were a Godsend.

I hope everything works out okay, Donna :hug::hug::hug:

Dmom3005 12-03-2017 06:24 PM

Thanks all.
The thing that really works right now is Seroquel. So I'm not sure about
coupons.

Donna :grouphug::hug:

OhKay 12-04-2017 09:28 AM

The generic for the regular Seroquel is cheap, and with the coupons from GoodRx it would be very affordable... if that is what he is on, I would look into it.

But SeroquelXR is very expensive, whether or not you have insurance.

Mari 12-04-2017 09:56 AM

Donna,

Does he take quetiapine?

That is the generic for Seroquel.

M

Dmom3005 12-04-2017 12:24 PM

I will have to check and see if he takes the generic.

I don't know, he used to take brand many many years ago.

Dmom3005 12-04-2017 06:13 PM

He does take the quetiphine, or how ever spelled. He takes the ER though.
I'm having a little trouble with the goodxr site.

But your right its lots cheaper. Just trying to figure out how to get the coupons.

Donna

Dmom3005 12-04-2017 08:35 PM

Kay,
Do we need the actual coupon or taking it on a phone will that work.