NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Feedback Needed (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/192594-feedback.html)

2bluetoday 08-10-2013 02:07 AM

Feedback Needed

I have been told that my brain injury has healed. I live with chronic pain and have lots of short term memory, and balance issues, migraines and physical head pain. My question is can a brain injury completely heal, I was out for a short while, but have never felt the same. Im sceptical of this.

Lightrail11 08-10-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2bluetoday (Post 1006182)
My question is can a brain injury completely heal, I was out for a short while, but have never felt the same. Im sceptical of this.

They can, but it doesn't sound like yours has. The symptoms you describe sound like classic PCS.

Tell us a little more, such as when was the injury and what were the immediate symptoms? Was there a loss of consciousness? Were you admitted an ER, and if so what was your GCS and how long were you there.

Lots of people here to provide support, this support will be more relevant and meaningful if you tell us more about the injury.

Best to you

Su seb 08-11-2013 11:48 AM

Slow

Many of us heal slowly or incompletely.
Do everything you can to help your head heal. But also let go of your expectation of returning to the old you...it might not happen. Move forward, except your new self and try to manage the symptoms.
Good luck
Reading on this board can teach you a lot. In the beginning I came here looking for a quick fix...now I come here knowing that the people here have a wealth of knowledge and understanding.
Su Seb

Mark in Idaho 08-11-2013 02:43 PM

The term 'healed' has a wide range of meanings. Healed regarding a brain may mean a bleed has healed, a contusion has healed, or a specific injury has healed. It does not mean the brain has returned to its per-injury state. This will never happen.

A doctor who says your brain has healed is likely very ignorant of concussion issues. This is not uncommon. Most doctors do not understand concussions. They think that if a brief neurological assessment shows no neurological deficits, that your brain is healed. It takes a much more in-depth assessment to make such a statement.

A doctor's determination is meaningless. You are the one who has to live your life after a head injury. Understanding your continuing symptoms will make it possible to learn work-arounds and accommodations so you can move forward.

Please tell us about your ongoing symptoms. There are many here who can help you move forward.

My best to you.