NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Gluten Sensitivity / Celiac Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/gluten-sensitivity-celiac-disease/)
-   -   Can I make my own rice flour? (https://www.neurotalk.org/gluten-sensitivity-celiac-disease/63167-own-rice-flour.html)

JustWeave 12-09-2008 12:35 PM

Can I make my own rice flour?

DH came home yesterday with a grain mill attachment for a sturdy old mixer we have. He thought maybe I could use it to make my own rice flour.

So what exactly is rice flour anyway? Do I just run standard white or brown rice through the mill once? It looks like I will be able to get it really fine so I'm hoping I can make it grit free fine.

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Kitt 12-09-2008 02:36 PM

Rice Flour

Yes you can. Soak rice in water for 2-3 hours. Keep a little bit of the water and drain away the excess. Put the rice and the water in a blender and blend it for awhile. Pour the ground rice inside a cloth bag. Put the bag in a seive or on something with holes so that the water can drain away. Put something heavy on the top of the bag to help drain the water out for a few hours. What is left inside the bag is rice flour. If you don't use it immediately, you will need to dry it before keeping it.

JustWeave 12-09-2008 07:08 PM

Huh? :confused: I need a blender and water to make flour? Interesting. I thought it was milled. Learn something new everyday.

Kitt 12-09-2008 07:21 PM

Rice Flour

Hey, I don't know. I just did a search on it and that's what I came up with. I suspect if you don't have some liquid in it, it will not turn out right. I'm just guessing but I think that may be true of lots of things we grind.

You can do a search and perhaps come up with another idea. Or maybe someone else will post an idea. Good luck:)

JustWeave 12-09-2008 07:37 PM

I am doing some searching now and found a lot of sites that give the same directions you found. I also found a few sites that say mill/ grind it dry.

It seems to me any liquid would turn the rice to paste. And having to dry it after it is ground sounds like more work than I care to do. I can just see me getting moldy flour. Gag me!

Thanks for your help Kitt. I do appreciate it. :)

Kitt 12-10-2008 05:46 PM

Rice Flour

Thank you but guess I really didn't help you. I don't know about the liquid either. Maybe we should try a little of it and see what happens:D

Lara 12-16-2008 07:56 PM

I would just wash the rice well first and then spread it out to dry again and grind it when it's totally dry. I wouldn't want to grind it without washing it first.

The grinder will be great. I use a fair bit of almond meal in various cakes I make so it would be good for doing that as well.

Have fun with it. Let us know how it turns out when you try the rice.

JustWeave 12-16-2008 08:05 PM

Rinse, dry, grind. Now that makes sense. I did read somewhere that it will be no more fine than cornmeal. I was hoping for something more fine than that. Will have to give the grinder a good bath and try it out anyway.

loehndorft 07-21-2009 10:48 AM

Making rice flour

Can I use my Magic Mill to grind dry rice (as I have wheat berries)?

sherrie foley 11-23-2010 02:56 PM

making rice flour

google or bing "how to make rice flour". There you will see "an illustration on making rice flour"

Might give you better idea and variations on how to