NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   PreFilled Avonex Syringes (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/29239-prefilled-avonex-syringes.html)

Penny Lane 10-01-2007 07:08 PM

PreFilled Avonex Syringes

I have just returned from an appointment at the MS Clinic and was recommended I use a personal injector to help me give myself injections. Up until now I have been going to an injection clinic because I have trouble with the thought of injecting myself. When I was contacted by the group that was going to send me the injector they told me it is only compatible with the prefilled Avonex, I have always used the Avonex that you must mix yourself. Is this good switch? What are the experiences others have had with the prefilled Syringes.

SallyC 10-01-2007 07:18 PM

I don't know for sure but some people said it was like a different formula and it made them Ill :confused: -- A lot of them went ba*k to the old way :) --- Good Lu*k:hug:

chez 10-02-2007 07:24 AM

I had my first 'pre-filled' Avonex injection last night and have been violently ill since. I used to use the unmixed when it first came out and only had the aches & pains, which was controlled with ibuprofen. I have not been on any CRABS for 3 years as I was doing 'N', but have finished that now and the neuro wanted me back on CRABS.

I don't know if the violent vomitting was due to the new pre-mixed formula, or the fact that I've been off the CRABS so long. In any case, this has been the worst reaction I've had, I hope I haven't built up an allergy, if I'm this sick again next week, I'm going to ask for the old 'mix'!

I would be interested to hear how you go with the pre-mixed, or if anyone else has been violently ill after using the pre-mixed.

Royal 10-02-2007 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penny Lane (Post 153983)
I have just returned from an appointment at the MS Clinic and was recommended I use a personal injector to help me give myself injections. Up until now I have been going to an injection clinic because I have trouble with the thought of injecting myself. When I was contacted by the group that was going to send me the injector they told me it is only compatible with the prefilled Avonex, I have always used the Avonex that you must mix yourself. Is this good switch? What are the experiences others have had with the prefilled Syringes.

Hi Penny Lane,
I have been on Avonex for years and always, except for a brief period, been on the powered form. When trying the premixed I got quite fatigued as a side-effect. With the powered form I have no side effects at all. Its not clear why, since they both contain the same interferon beta-1a. So I much prefer the powered form.

I was not aware there was an injector for Avonex?
I know some are fearfull of the long needle. But really its "no big deal" once you get used to it.
Oh well, best of luck in your Avonex journey?

- Roy

Penny Lane 10-02-2007 09:22 PM

Thank you to everyone that has posted a reply to my post, you have been a big help. I'm still not sure what I am going to do, I think I might just stick with the powder form. I have been on the powder form for over 3 years now and have had no problems with it and many of you don't have many good things to say about the premixed version. I guess I have some thinking to do.

SRKW 10-03-2007 01:13 PM

Long time Avonex user

Hi Penny,

Just thought I would weigh in my two cents and say I had no trouble what so ever with the switch to the prefilled.

A better idea is to call the Avonex hot line and maybe get some statistics on what % of people can't tolerate the prefilled variety after switching.

I really like the prefilled, I generally don't like people messing with things I am comfortable with. I actually dreaded switching, but in the end it was no big deal and I do like it alot better.

I sure the other posters had problems, but they only represent a sample of those people on this forum who take Avonex. Maybe there aren't that many of us Avonex users on this forum. I really don't know. Anyway you could try it one week and and switch back if you don't do well.

Hope you do well no matter what.

Penny Lane 10-04-2007 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRKW (Post 154526)
Hi Penny,

Just thought I would weigh in my two cents and say I had no trouble what so ever with the switch to the prefilled.

A better idea is to call the Avonex hot line and maybe get some statistics on what % of people can't tolerate the prefilled variety after switching.

I really like the prefilled, I generally don't like people messing with things I am comfortable with. I actually dreaded switching, but in the end it was no big deal and I do like it alot better.

I sure the other posters had problems, but they only represent a sample of those people on this forum who take Avonex. Maybe there aren't that many of us Avonex users on this forum. I really don't know. Anyway you could try it one week and and switch back if you don't do well.

Hope you do well no matter what.

Thanks SRKW for posting your experience with the premixed Avonex. Maybe I will think on it a bit more because it would be much easier to use than the original formula. I talked to my injection nurse today and she thinks the only reason some people may not react well to the premixed version is a reaction to the preservative they use. This is just her guess. Maybe I will try your suggestion and try it for a week or two and see how I react. I think I will talk to my doctor. Thanks!

chez 10-07-2007 01:57 AM

The 'upside' of the pre-filled is it is only 1/2ml compared to 1ml with the bio-set. I think it's worth a try. I'm going to give it another go and see if I get so sick again. Who knows, my 'reaction' may have been coincidental. and the only way I'll really know is to try it again.