NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   Medication Change - ANXIOUS (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/125055-medication-change-anxious.html)

Coach 06-16-2010 11:36 AM

Medication Change - ANXIOUS

Hi

A few weeks ago I switched from Zyprexa to Resperidone and I am a nervous wreck. I feel like my house is closing in on me and I can't breathe! If I have any congestion at all I panic. Last night I had to take a valium to settle down enough to get into bed. I also went off of Lithium due to shaking a few weeks back. I don't know which is causing it but I'm miserable!!

I see my doctor in a week. Until then I am just holding on.

Pam

Jomar 06-16-2010 11:44 AM

What about calling the Drs office and leaving a message about how you are feeling?
Or do they have email access at the drs office?

I don't think the Dr would want you feeling that way for a week.:grouphug:

Coach 06-16-2010 11:48 AM

Thanks

Hi

He's out of town. The doctor on call isn't helpful at all.

Pam

Mari 06-16-2010 12:09 PM

Resperidone

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 665400)
Hi

A few weeks ago I switched from Zyprexa to Resperidone and I am a nervous wreck.
Pam

Hi,
This is from about.com
http://bipolar.about.com/cs/sfx/a/sfx_risperdal.htm

Quote:

Notify your doctor as soon as possible if you notice any of these Risperdal side effects:

More Common:
Anxiety or nervousness; changes in vision, including blurred vision; decreased sexual desire or performance; loss of balance control; mask-like face; menstrual changes; mood or mental changes, including aggressive behavior, agitation, difficulty in concentration, and memory problems; problems in urination or increase in amount of urine; restlessness or need to keep moving (severe); shuffling walk; skin rash or itching; stiffness or weakness of arms or legs; tic-like or twitching movements; trembling and shaking of fingers and hands; trouble in sleeping

Since the pdoc is not available, you have to make do for a while. I suggest calling a pharmacist. Ask the pharmacist what happens if you stop taking the Resperidone and if a person needs to taper.

M.

waves 06-16-2010 12:28 PM

Hi Pam

i agree with Mari:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mari (Post 665422)
Ask the pharmacist what happens if you stop taking the Resperidone and if a person needs to taper.

also ask if these effects might be transitory, and if they might wear off after a few days... how long has it been since you started on the risperidone?

i hope you feel better soon!

~ waves ~

bizi 06-16-2010 09:03 PM

Pam can you call to get in faster?
You sound miserable...I hate to hear this.
Have you ever tried geodon? I take this at night and don't have any side effects. I also take klonipin to sleep at night and lamictal as my mood stabilizer. what other meds are you taking?
bizi

Coach 06-17-2010 06:46 PM

Thanks

Hi

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the input. I defintely liked zyprexa better than risperidone but it costs so much!

I went down from 2mg to 1 mg and it helped me some. I also take trazadone.

I was taking lithium along with the zyprexa but it gave me the shakes. I've wondered if I might be having withdrawal from it.

Pam

bizi 06-17-2010 10:44 PM

zyprexa can cause diabetes and weight gain....geodon is weight nuetral...I don't know if that is a concern for you.
just a heads up.
bizi

Coach 06-21-2010 06:32 PM

Anxiety Continues

Hi

I see my doctor on Wednesday thank you God!

There are things going on in my life that could cause anxiety for sure but I still think most of it is the medication changes.

I get a bipolar newsletter from Julie Fast a fellow sufferer. She talks about anxiety being a part of having bipolar. She also mentions that longer days cause mania so I onder if that has anything to do ith my mess.

My doc is a pain doc as well as a head doc. I'm not too impressed but I plan to hang in with him for a while and give him a chance.

I sure hope the end is in sight for my nervousness. It's really been tough!

Pam

bizi 06-21-2010 06:35 PM

I am glad that you see your doctor on wednesday!
bizi