NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Security Disability (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/)
-   -   So confused on a letter that I received from Social Security Disablity (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/129671-confused-letter-received-social-security-disablity.html)

matthewgonecrazy 08-05-2010 10:09 PM

So confused on a letter that I received from Social Security Disablity

Hello everyone I am new to this forum but glad I found it.

Two and a half months ago I applied for Social Security Disablity Insurance. I applied with the following: Bipolar Disorder, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Anxiety, Ocd, Herniated Disk and a headache problem.

Anyways today in the mail I get this wierd letter from Social Security. This is what it states.

"We're writing to ask you to send us the following information
Please come into the office with a friend or family member who would be willing to be your representative payee. According to our medical decidion it was determined that you need someone to manage your funds for you."

It goes on to state to bring Id and blah blah blah.

So I called the SS office and the lady for whatever reason didn't really know what she was talking about. She said she couldn't find any notes on my case which could mean there hasn't been a decision. Why would they send me this letter? I don't understand.

I'm wondering:

Did any of you ever get this type of letter and get approved or
Did any of you ever get this type of leter and get denied?

I heard that if you had a mental problem they would make you get a payee. If that's the case does that mean I'm approved or do they do this for the fun of it?

Are they telling me in so many words that I've been approved and that I wont be in charge of my pay check each month?

If I've been approved why wouldn't they send me an approval letter first?

Or...

Are they saying that they are not going to approve my case until they know that I have a responsible payee? So does this mean I've most likely been approved and won't have control of my money or does this mean that I could still possibly be denied and I'm wasting my time by bringing someone down to the office to enroll as my payee?

SSDIHelp 08-06-2010 01:03 PM

Take letter at face avlue

I would make the assumption that you've been approved and they've decided you need someone to handle the check. I received my backpay of almost $20,000 before my approval letter arrive a few weeks later. So, in my case the finances came way before approval letter.
As for having a payee, they can have it automatically deposited in their account. The check arrives the same date every month and they could set up an automatic transfer for the following day to your account.
Respectfully,
Trudi

Cblue 08-06-2010 01:09 PM

Oh my goodness..I never heard of it. Janke and Legalmania are really knowledgable about SSDI. I am sure they will help you out.

Janke 08-06-2010 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSDIHelp (Post 682594)
I would make the assumption that you've been approved and they've decided you need someone to handle the check. I received my backpay of almost $20,000 before my approval letter arrive a few weeks later. So, in my case the finances came way before approval letter.
As for having a payee, they can have it automatically deposited in their account. The check arrives the same date every month and they could set up an automatic transfer for the following day to your account.
Respectfully,
Trudi

So what's the point of having a payee if all they do is act as a conduit between you and SSA? If you can manage your own money, you don't need a payee in between. If a payee is just doing an automatic transfer to your account without managing the money for you, then the payee is not doing the job they signed up to do and should be removed. When this kind of payee is asked to account for how they spent they money, they will have to lie because they will have no idea how the money was spent. Bad idea.

Janke 08-06-2010 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matthewgonecrazy (Post 682423)
Hello everyone I am new to this forum but glad I found it.

Two and a half months ago I applied for Social Security Disablity Insurance. I applied with the following: Bipolar Disorder, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Anxiety, Ocd, Herniated Disk and a headache problem.

Anyways today in the mail I get this wierd letter from Social Security. This is what it states.

"We're writing to ask you to send us the following information
Please come into the office with a friend or family member who would be willing to be your representative payee. According to our medical decidion it was determined that you need someone to manage your funds for you."

It goes on to state to bring Id and blah blah blah.

So I called the SS office and the lady for whatever reason didn't really know what she was talking about. She said she couldn't find any notes on my case which could mean there hasn't been a decision. Why would they send me this letter? I don't understand.

I'm wondering:

Did any of you ever get this type of leter and get denied?

I heard that if you had a mental problem they would make you get a payee. If that's the case does that mean I'm approved or do they do this for the fun of it?

Are they telling me in so many words that I've been approved and that I wont be in charge of my pay check each month?

If I've been approved why wouldn't they send me an approval letter first?

Or...

Are they saying that they are not going to approve my case until they know that I have a responsible payee? So does this mean I've most likely been approved and won't have control of my money or does this mean that I could still possibly be denied and I'm wasting my time by bringing someone down to the office to enroll as my payee?

I'd do what the letter asks you to do.

Hoosier_Daddy 08-08-2010 10:34 AM

I haven't been on in awhile but this pertains to my situation. I won based mainly on mental issues. My wife had to go in with me and was appointed my payee. She had to set up an account showing them where the money would go. I can't touch the money. Either put any in or take any out.

stella tsakalos 08-18-2010 10:37 PM

Quote:

hello everyone i am new to this forum but glad i found it.

Two and a half months ago i applied for social security disablity insurance. I applied with the following: Bipolar disorder, post traumatic stress disorder, anxiety, ocd, herniated disk and a headache problem.

Anyways today in the mail i get this wierd letter from social security. This is what it states.

"we're writing to ask you to send us the following information
please come into the office with a friend or family member who would be willing to be your representative payee. According to our medical decidion it was determined that you need someone to manage your funds for you."

it goes on to state to bring id and blah blah blah.

So i called the ss office and the lady for whatever reason didn't really know what she was talking about. She said she couldn't find any notes on my case which could mean there hasn't been a decision. Why would they send me this letter? I don't understand.

I'm wondering:

did any of you ever get this type of leter and get denied?

I heard that if you had a mental problem they would make you get a payee. If that's the case does that mean i'm approved or do they do this for the fun of it?

Are they telling me in so many words that i've been approved and that i wont be in charge of my pay check each month?

If i've been approved why wouldn't they send me an approval letter first?

Or...

Are they saying that they are not going to approve my case until they know that i have a responsible payee? So does this mean i've most likely been approved and won't have control of my money or does this mean that i could still possibly be denied and i'm wasting my time by bringing someone down to the office to enroll as my payee?

wow that is kind of od,because for the imparments you mentioned,i never heard some one getting approved in less thank 3months,best thing to do is take the letter you got down to your local ss office and ask for a manager to verify and clarify my friend..never call the 800 though,because they will almost always give you wrong and not updated info..good luck to you

iMA_bUM 08-20-2010 10:12 PM

Quote:

hello everyone i am new to this forum but glad i found it.

Two and a half months ago i applied for social security disablity insurance. I applied with the following: Bipolar disorder, post traumatic stress disorder, anxiety, ocd, herniated disk and a headache problem.

Anyways today in the mail i get this wierd letter from social security. This is what it states.

"we're writing to ask you to send us the following information
please come into the office with a friend or family member who would be willing to be your representative payee. According to our medical decidion it was determined that you need someone to manage your funds for you."

it goes on to state to bring id and blah blah blah.

So i called the ss office and the lady for whatever reason didn't really know what she was talking about. She said she couldn't find any notes on my case which could mean there hasn't been a decision. Why would they send me this letter? I don't understand.

I'm wondering:

did any of you ever get this type of leter and get denied?

I heard that if you had a mental problem they would make you get a payee. If that's the case does that mean i'm approved or do they do this for the fun of it?

Are they telling me in so many words that i've been approved and that i wont be in charge of my pay check each month?

If i've been approved why wouldn't they send me an approval letter first?

Or...

Are they saying that they are not going to approve my case until they know that i have a responsible payee? So does this mean i've most likely been approved and won't have control of my money or does this mean that i could still possibly be denied and i'm wasting my time by bringing someone down to the office to enroll as my payee?

the office wouldn't waste there time doing a payee app, it takes a decent amount of time so it's likely you've been approved. Like was already said do as the letter says and go into the office. Bring the letter with you.

ginnie 08-21-2010 10:59 AM

social security

I am not a bit surprised about anything social security, medicare, medicade does. It took me four years to qualify. It was hell. I would advise you to get an attorney that specializes in these cases. Do not represent yourself, get professionals to go to bat for you. Another friend to go with you isn't enough. They can rake you over the coals easily. Remember, they really don't want to qualify you, bacause there are alot of people who need the help like you do. I have depression issues, they questioned my sanity, sent me to a psych for evaluation, doctors for DX and a host of other unpleasant things until I qualified. When I went before a judge, it was the best day of my life, I got a chance to tell my side, on what has happened to me. I was granted dissability, and the rest soon folllowed. I do get help now. Be persistant, and get help, they are not on your side, so get people and that lawyer to be on you side. These agiencies are not easy to work with at all. WhenI first tried to apply for medicade-medicare duo, they would not even take my application in the office! I was shown the door! They did not even look at my case. I got help, from my family church of all places. They helped me go to bat and I got these services. Good luck to you. Do not give up, it is hard to get these services, but it can be done. Ginnie