NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   SCS & Pain Pumps (https://www.neurotalk.org/scs-and-pain-pumps/)
-   -   Exercise/Activities during Recovery? (https://www.neurotalk.org/scs-and-pain-pumps/205362-exercise-activities-recovery.html)

Rimbanda 06-07-2014 05:30 PM

Exercise/Activities during Recovery?

Hi All,
With my upcoming implant it has me wondering what I can actually do during the recovery period and still fit within the BLAST requirements. I mean 12 weeks is a long time to vegetate :D and I imagine getting out and walking will be fine. Any other suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Phil

Sophie_ 06-08-2014 09:48 AM

Upcoming surgery

Hi Rimbanda or is it Phil?,

You've a lovely name, where is it from?
I'm sure you've been told about the bending and twisting. Definitely get lots of rest and walk short walks for 5-10 minutes at first, perhaps 5 minutes at first, twice a day and build it up.
Do you like swimming? Maybe ask your Doctor about a few minutes walking in the pool or back strokes that helped me mentally to. After that, rubbish daytime TV is interesting sometimes....not! In saying that I like the Discovery channels, or films I've recorded. I read books if my concentration is okay with it.

I hope this helps but please remember I'm not a doctor and their advice on anything you feel you can do is important, you probably won't feel like doing these things every day, work at you're own pace and try not to push yourself too hard, listen to your body that will tell you what you're ready for.

Best of luck with your surgery Rimbanda,

Sinéad :):hug:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rimbanda (Post 1074289)
Hi All,
With my upcoming implant it has me wondering what I can actually do during the recovery period and still fit within the BLAST requirements. I mean 12 weeks is a long time to vegetate :D and I imagine getting out and walking will be fine. Any other suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Phil

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rimbanda (Post 1074289)
Hi All,

Phil

Rrae 06-08-2014 02:41 PM

Hello Phil!

Sinead pretty much said it all! Depending on the pain condition/origin for the reason to get the SCS, your Dr perhaps will have specific recommendations of do's and don'ts.
I remember how wonderful the therapy pool was for me, esp since I could walk, tread water and do other non-weight bearing light exercises. Be careful if you sit in a hot tub if it might make your battery hot.

There have been others here who went straight back to their active lifestyles, even karate, but in due time. Common sense will tell you not to sky dive the first week out of surgery. :rolleyes: .... my 'common sense' told me it was ok for me to pitch 60 lb bales of hay to my horses. :rolleyes:
I was back in for a revision with my tail between my legs. ha.

Like Sinead said, your body will pretty much tell you if you are over-doing.

Best Wishes for your implant!
Will be anxious to hear how it went!

Rae
:grouphug:

Rimbanda 06-09-2014 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sophie_ (Post 1074384)
Hi Rimbanda or is it Phil?,

You've a lovely name, where is it from?
I'm sure you've been told about the bending and twisting. Definitely get lots of rest and walk short walks for 5-10 minutes at first, perhaps 5 minutes at first, twice a day and build it up.
Do you like swimming? Maybe ask your Doctor about a few minutes walking in the pool or back strokes that helped me mentally to. After that, rubbish daytime TV is interesting sometimes....not! In saying that I like the Discovery channels, or films I've recorded. I read books if my concentration is okay with it.

I hope this helps but please remember I'm not a doctor and their advice on anything you feel you can do is important, you probably won't feel like doing these things every day, work at you're own pace and try not to push yourself too hard, listen to your body that will tell you what you're ready for.

Best of luck with your surgery Rimbanda,

Sinéad :):hug:

Thanks Sinéad,
Didn't think swimming would be doable due to twisting, but I will ask about that, the Nevro rep has already said water skiing is out. Which is fine as I don't waterski. :) But she used it as an example of one of her clients who went skiing after 9 weeks thinking all was good. Bad move on his part.

Rimbanda is a locality basically in the middle of nowhere in central Queensland. It is approximately half way between Longreach and Winton. I worked in Longreach for 4 1/2 years and we used to have a break and change drivers there on our way to Winton.

Phil

Rimbanda 06-09-2014 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rrae (Post 1074449)
Sinead pretty much said it all! Depending on the pain condition/origin for the reason to get the SCS, your Dr perhaps will have specific recommendations of do's and don'ts.
I remember how wonderful the therapy pool was for me, esp since I could walk, tread water and do other non-weight bearing light exercises. Be careful if you sit in a hot tub if it might make your battery hot.

There have been others here who went straight back to their active lifestyles, even karate, but in due time. Common sense will tell you not to sky dive the first week out of surgery. :rolleyes: .... my 'common sense' told me it was ok for me to pitch 60 lb bales of hay to my horses. :rolleyes:
I was back in for a revision with my tail between my legs. ha.

Like Sinead said, your body will pretty much tell you if you are over-doing.

Best Wishes for your implant!
Will be anxious to hear how it went!

Rae
:grouphug:

Hi Rae,
Thanks for the tip about the hot tub. I might have tried that out as at present I use a lot of heated wheat bags on my various annoyances. Thankfully Rae (my wife) has made a heap of them, so there is always a fresh one to heat up.

Implant is scheduled for the 23rd, but still have to have another meeting with the PM to discuss placement of the unit. The waiting is nearly as bad as the thought of the procedure. :D:D

Phil

Wingy 06-10-2014 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rimbanda (Post 1074579)
Hi Rae,
Thanks for the tip about the hot tub. I might have tried that out as at present I use a lot of heated wheat bags on my various annoyances. Thankfully Rae (my wife) has made a heap of them, so there is always a fresh one to heat up.

Implant is scheduled for the 23rd, but still have to have another meeting with the PM to discuss placement of the unit. The waiting is nearly as bad as the thought of the procedure. :D:D

Phil

I found frequent walks very helpful in keeping me mobile and prevent myself from seizing up, I also found that using a walking stick was a useful help in getting others to give you a wide berth when you are feeling a bit vulnerable is busy places... also a steadying effect.

As for my other pastimes; beer drinking and stuffing my face with mussels in white wine sauce, no problem, although I did find my other hobby of bird watching a bit painful, with my wife constantly batting me round the head saying; "why are you looking at her" ;)

Wingy

Rrae 06-12-2014 11:38 PM

Wingy

Some of the things you say are a kick in the shorts! Thanks for reminding me what a good sense of humor can do to our sorry bones. :cool:

Rae

eva5667faliure 06-13-2014 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rrae (Post 1075476)
Some of the things you say are a kick in the shorts! Thanks for reminding me what a good sense of humor can do to our sorry bones. :cool:

Rae

Oh Rae
How you rock
How true that statement is
Laughter
Thank you Wingy

Wingy 06-19-2014 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rimbanda (Post 1074579)
Hi Rae,

Implant is scheduled for the 23rd, but still have to have another meeting with the PM to discuss placement of the unit.
Phil

I think they put them in upside down in Oz don't they Phil? ;-)

Wingy

Rimbanda 06-21-2014 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wingy (Post 1076733)
I think they put them in upside down in Oz don't they Phil? ;-)

Wingy

Makes the power come out quicker, doesn't it? :eek: Still have to decide on the placement of the unit. Of the suggestions given we have narrowed it down to hip or armpit. Kinda leaning towards armpit, but I'm open to ideas. :D:D
Less than two days to implant and work has me rostered right to the last moment. Supposed to finish at 2330 Sunday night, but that particular job rarely if ever finishes as scheduled so finish time will more likely be 0100. Then the fun begins at around 1500 Monday afternoon. At least the waiting and wondering will be over. :-)

Phil