NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   ptosis tips? (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/136339-ptosis-tips.html)

Stellatum 10-28-2010 06:29 AM

ptosis tips?

OK, so I have developed the missing symptom: pstosis! My left eye has been aching for a few days, and last night I looked in the mirror and noticed it's not open as wide as the right. My eyelid doesn't look half-closed, and I don't think I would have noticed if I hadn't been looking for it, so I guess it's mild.

Cold feels good. Anything else I should know? One of the reasons I'm a "puzzle" and an "enigma" is that I didn't present with eye symptoms. My first symptom was trouble keeping my balance. I am a more typical myasthenic now--and I am really, really hoping my lastest antibodies test comes out positive so I can get a diagnosis already. It's been a year.

Abby

mvoyvodich 10-28-2010 01:10 PM

The other thing you can do is rest.

When ever my left eye starts to drop that is my queue I need to slow down. Don't keep pushing until the remainder of your body becomes weak. Start listening to your body signals--that is one of them.

I didn't develop the droppy eye until later either. I had weakness in my arms and legs and jaw and neck, but not my eyes. Now, my eyelid is the first muscle to get weak and it my queue to slow down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellatum (Post 709462)
OK, so I have developed the missing symptom: pstosis! My left eye has been aching for a few days, and last night I looked in the mirror and noticed it's not open as wide as the right. My eyelid doesn't look half-closed, and I don't think I would have noticed if I hadn't been looking for it, so I guess it's mild.

Cold feels good. Anything else I should know? One of the reasons I'm a "puzzle" and an "enigma" is that I didn't present with eye symptoms. My first symptom was trouble keeping my balance. I am a more typical myasthenic now--and I am really, really hoping my lastest antibodies test comes out positive so I can get a diagnosis already. It's been a year.

Abby

DesertFlower 10-28-2010 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stellatum (Post 709462)

Abby

I am not sure whether I should congratulate you because this will help with a diagnosis, or if I should feel bad because I hated the ptosis, mine is mostly gone now. For me, a cool wet cloth helped more than anything besides adjusting the Mestinon dose.

When I had ptosis, I couldn't open my eyes all the way nor could I close them, watch out for dry eyes. I slept with a cool cloth on my eyes to help avoid dry eyes.

I hope you get a diagnosis soon.

Stellatum 10-29-2010 07:07 AM

Thank you, DesertFlower, that's very helpful. It's amazing how long it takes me to catch on to these things sometimes. I will consider the eyelid a warning sign. It did happen at the end of a long day when I was really worn out, so I will take that to heart.

I am so anxious for a diagnosis at this point that I almost welcome this sort of thing, if it is part of what need to happen before I start improving!

Abby