NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   The Stumble Inn (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/)
-   -   Taking a board break (https://www.neurotalk.org/the-stumble-inn/41414-taking-board-break.html)

freeinhou 03-16-2008 02:24 PM

Taking a board break

Kind of...

The surgery's in the morning. Getting some plumbing repaired - left common illiac artery aneurysm and abdominal aortic artery aneurysm. Minimum of a week in hospital. I am NOT looking forward to this.

I'm a nervous wreck right now. What's this crap can't drink for 24 hours prior to surgery? How am I supposed to sleep tonight?

Tom

tovaxin_lab_rat 03-16-2008 02:33 PM

Good luck with your surgery Tom.

They don't want you having any fluids in your system so you don't throw up and possibly drown in your own vomit during during in case of reactions to the anesthesia. It's common practice!

We want to see you back here! Nothing to eat either, I would assume 12 hours at a minimum prior to surgery...nothing in your tummy!

NPO, nothing by mouth!

Trust me, you will feel better after the surgery if your tummy is empty!

Hope to hear from you soon! Keep up the good work...nice to hear from you!

suzyqz_2007 03-16-2008 02:35 PM

Tom my thoughts and prayers will be with you. You do what the drs. tell you to and you will be up and running again in no time! (If I knew what hospital you're gonna be at I'd sneak you in a cold beer! lol)

Take care and if you can let us know how you are doing.

:hug: Susan

braingonebad 03-16-2008 02:49 PM

:hug:

I know you said you had the best docs in the best hospital and all that jazz.....

But you tell those boys if anything happens to you, Cathy is coming down in her lil pony with her butt-kickin boots on.

:cool:

And I have room for a posse - who's in?

suzyqz_2007 03-16-2008 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by braingonebad (Post 238327)
:hug:

I know you said you had the best docs in the best hospital and all that jazz.....

But you tell those boys if anything happens to you, Cathy is coming down in her lil pony with her butt-kickin boots on.

:cool:

And I have room for a posse - who's in?

Count me in! Not sure I could do much kickin' but I've got a nice wooden cane that could do some convincing! :wink:

SallyC 03-16-2008 02:54 PM

May St Patrick be at your side tomorrow, Tom..:hug:

BTW, is your Surgeon Irish..LOL

Chris 03-16-2008 02:59 PM

Good luck, Tom. I'm sure you are in good hands in Houston. They are known for their excellent medical care. The reasoning behind not eating and drinking is so you don't aspirate anything when you are given anaesthesia. You will be in my thoughts and prayers. Hurry back, you shall be missed.

Friend2U 03-16-2008 03:10 PM

God Be With You!

:Boy(angel-flying): Hugs and prayers coming out your way! :hug: I wish you the best! Be well fast!:wink:

Kitty 03-16-2008 03:57 PM

Prayers and good wishes to you, Tom. Check back in with us after the surgery and let us know how you're feeling.

It'll all be just a memory next week and you'll be feeling much better.

SandyC 03-16-2008 04:06 PM

Tom, good luck with your surgery. One reason you cannot eat or drink may be because of the type of surgery you are having in addition to the anesthesia. It has something to do with the intestines and needing them completely empty so nothing contaminates organs, etc. during surgery. When Jim had urostomy surgery he couldn't eat either and they made him drink that colon cleanse stuff. We watched a whole movie in the VA patient bathroom waiting for it to take. haha

Saying a prayer for a swift and smooth surgery and an early discharge.