NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   EMG's and NCV's -- ever done in different positions? (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/88319-emgs-ncvs-positions.html)

lefthanded 06-01-2009 05:52 PM

EMG's and NCV's -- ever done in different positions?

I was wondering if there are occasions when nerve testing is done in different positions. My reason for asking is that the neuropathy in my feet is different when I have been sitting than it is when I have been standing. All of my testing was done in a supine position, if I recall correctly.

Do neurologists ever do the tests in various positions, or doesn't your position make a difference?

Kitt 06-01-2009 06:55 PM

From what I have read and my own experience, I believe it is always done when you are lying down. JMO.

pabb 06-02-2009 07:24 AM

i would suggest you investigate a low back issue.....good luck

nide44 06-02-2009 08:43 AM

I've never known these tests to be done, other than lying down.
Have you ever had an MRI of your lower back (& pelvic and hip regions)?

mrsD 06-02-2009 09:33 AM

I've only had EMG done in my arms...and that was done sitting up.
When I went to the physiatrist she decided to do it right there for the carpal tunnel. It was only 3 or 4 needles if I recall...it was a LONG time ago...and the results were awful then. I don't recall it being painful either ( I was watching the scope pretty much and my fingers moving by themselves!)

I've never had my feet or legs done.

daniella 06-02-2009 11:15 AM

Mine is in my lower legs/feet and for both they had me laying down but also had me on my side if I recall correct. I am not sure but I would think it would show the same results. I know for mine things like walking,different movements,etc change how my pain is. I was going to suggest also the mri of a brain/spine.

Hope15 06-02-2009 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nide44 (Post 518055)
I've never known these tests to be done, other than lying down.
Have you ever had an MRI of your lower back (& pelvic and hip regions)?

You know Bob, I have had problems with my pelvis and hips, but have only had MRI's on my spine. I sure would like to know more about the PN problems these two areas might cause. Hmmmm. :confused:

smiley2611 06-06-2009 10:09 AM

Laying down

Quote:

Originally Posted by lefthanded (Post 517743)
I was wondering if there are occasions when nerve testing is done in different positions. My reason for asking is that the neuropathy in my feet is different when I have been sitting than it is when I have been standing. All of my testing was done in a supine position, if I recall correctly.

Do neurologists ever do the tests in various positions, or doesn't your position make a difference?

When I have had mine it was always laying down.